Sunday, August 19, 2012

On the Road Again - bound for a bridal shower.

Annie and I were on the road early.  We arrived in Topeka early enough for me to have time to dye some fabric Marlene had given me.  I'd never dyed anything before, so I was a little anxious but up to the task.  Round 1 came out purple, not navy.  After a quick trip to get more dye... round 2 came out the exact same, purple.  Well, I tried.  

Annie and her Grandpa played a quick game of Kings in the Corner.  Annie was much more lenient with her Grandpa than I would have been.  More than once I heard her say, "now Grandpa, you're not done yet." Honestly, I would have just gone for the win.  (tee hee!)  I think he forgot what game they were playing but Annie didn't seem to mind a bit.

Mom made a delicious lunch with leftovers Marlene had sent home yesterday.  I washed the dishes and then we were off to Junction.  It was a beautiful day for a drive.  Mom and I had a nice visit while Annie listened to music, read a new book and slept. 

Jack called to check in.  He and Jake went to Grand Avenue Temple UMC this morning with the youth group.  The church's mission statement is 'Where Everybody is Somebody Special Reaching out to United all in God's Love. The church not only feeds the soul but feeds souls.   Lunch is offered after the service.  Jack said they served 140 people and he guessed 100 of them were homeless.  He didn't know for sure, but it doesn't matter, does it?  (Of course not!) Jake said, he "liked it because it was all about worship!"  Jack said, "my favorite part during the offering when people can give whatever they have - whether it's a song or poetry or playing a recorder.  My favorite was this soulful woman's bluesy rendition of Everlasting Love.  She was so good!  She sang for us as we were cleaning up after serving lunch.  And she sings big and bold. WOW!"   I am so thankful they got the opportunity to go.

We arrived at Grandma Corinne's in time to help Marlene take the tables out of the back of her truck.  Walking into the house always gives me the feeling of walking back in time.  I have so many wonderful memories of times spent there.  And today we made more!  Today was Melissa's Bridal Shower!  Melissa and DJ will be getting married in a month.  I hope she felt spoiled, I'm pretty sure she did.  

 
Melissa
 
Yummy treats and beautiful cheesecake cake pops! 
(Marlene decorated the pops with tweezers... obsess much?  ha!)

Oh, and Annie got more birthday presents.  A caboodle set from Grammy and a nice assortment of goodies, including Happy Booster-Natural blush, from Leenie.  "Awesome!"

"How'd she know I wanted this?"
She was so excited!
  
After we were fed and while Marlene had a captive audience she used and abused us as free labor.  ;-)  We were each asked to decorate two love birds.  She had mentioned something to me about this ahead of time but I left my creativity at home and had a total mental block.  I finally got started at 4:00... when I had told Annie we would be on our way home so she could make it back for youth group.   I finished and we were back on the road by 4:30, but I didn't have time to take pictures.  Maybe... hopefully, my birds will make the cut and I will be able to take a picture of them at the wedding.  

Annie made it back in time to enjoy 15 minutes of youth group.  Annie said, "it's better than none!"

Sleepy.  G'night!

xo

No comments:

Post a Comment