Friday, December 28, 2012

The Noble Duke of York

Do you remember that song?  

The chorus goes something like; 
When you're up, you're up, 
and when you're down, you're down, 
and when you're only half way up, you're neither up nor down.

Today has been an up and up and a down and down kind of day.  Not much half way.  I made a cake, fixed baked beans, wrapped the rest of the Christmas presents, made homemade whipped cream, took the decorations off the Christmas tree and a few other odds and ends.  :-)

Tonight we drove down to Jack's relatives in Harrisonville for dinner and celebration.  We always have a nice visit.  We also exchanged gifts, played Left, Right, Center and planned a bit of Lauren's 21st birthday party.  It's crazy to think she's going to be 21.  (It's crazier the think Jack and I helped Sarah celebrate a few years ago or was it a dozen years ago?  Ha!  It doesn't matter.)  
Annie, Lauren and Sue.

Bill taking a picture of Sue.
;-)

Playing Left, Right, Center.
Nate, Annie, and Lauren

Jake lost all his chips.  Bummer!

Mother/daughter - Sue and Lauren.
Beautiful ladies!

The kids argued and Lauren said, "get use to a lot of that for the next four years!"  I guess she and Nate did a lot of that.  (:-/  I know it's all a part of growing up, but it stinks.  I want them to have a close relationship and hormones are gonna mess that all up.  It makes me sad.

They bickered on the way home.  Jack threatened.  I threatened.  (Blah!)

When we got home I dropped Jack at the mailbox and asked if someone could carry in a box.  Before I got out of the car the kids were arguing again, the trunk was open but neither was holding a thing.  Annie leaned down to pick up her shoes.  ?  "Annie, did you just hit Jake with your shoes?"  "yea."  "SERIOUSLY? WHAT THE HECK WERE YOU THINKING?"  I sent Jake into the house and I exploded.  She tried to blame Jake.  I didn't care what he had said, there was no reason for her to hit him with her shoes or anything else!  I instructed her to beg for his forgiveness.  I told her that she's grounded until school starts - no phone, computer or iPod.  AND she will do whatever he asked without complaint.  

Now I sit here trying to remember the good parts of my day.

What was the rest of the song?  

The noble duke of york, he had ten thousand men,
he marched them up to the top of the hill
and he marched them down again.  

For whatever reason I find this little song comforting.  Sometimes doing the same thing over and over again gets a different result.  It's not insanity, it's life.  Well, as long as you don't let your expectations get in the way.  :-) 

I found this comforting, too.
And sometimes I'm happy with one!

xo   

No comments:

Post a Comment