Saturday, December 15, 2012

Journey

Websters defines journey as: 1. an act or instance of traveling from one place to another: trip.  2. chiefly dialect: a day's travel.  3. something suggesting travel or passage from one place to another <the journey from youth to maturity> <a journey through time>.  Synonyms: expedition, passage, travel, trek, trip.  

The word journey is referenced the Bible 8 times, 6 in the Old Testament and 2 in the New Testament.  

We are all on a journey.  It's how our friends Steve and Jenn refer to their mission work in Africa.  It's the title for Sarah's blog.  Many times I've heard the quote, life is a journey, not a destination.  (hmmm)  

We went to a funeral today.  Jack's friend Scott lost his mother, Joann, this week.  She underwent heart surgery, there were complications and she passed away.  Earlier in the week she and her husband went over her living will.  She seemed to have to things in order, just in case.  They said she had a 5% chance of not surviving the surgery.  I was honestly surprised when Jack told me she had gotten things in order.  "She had a 5% chance of not surviving!"  "It's only a 5% chance of dying" I said in my head - that is very rare.  Jack asked if I'd buy a lottery ticket if I had a 5% chance of winning.  Hmm.  Wow, I have been so blessed to have my family members come through heart attacks, various heart surgeries, and stroke without complication.  I surprised myself by being so desensitized to the thought that people don't survive what have become routine procedures.  That doesn't mean I'm not present at the hospital if possible, but I... (I'm lost in my thoughts.)

I digress, Joanne had written her own obituary.  Scott and his family was so very thankful for that because none of them could have done it, especially in the short order it's required.  The service was very nice.  She was a member of PEO Sisterhood and several sisters provided a portion of the service.  (When I first heard she was in PEO I gave a little giggle, I have no idea what it stands for but my Mom, who is also in PEO, always told us it stood for Pigs Eat Out.  More digression, I apologize.)  The ladies spoke of the guideposts that are followed in the sisterhood and it was comforting.  The pastor continued with a service that not only comforted but brought a bit of laughter through memories.  He really knew her, which was refreshing.  We sang songs.  We sang 'Here I am Lord,' I love that song and it made me cry.  Both the PEO ladies and pastor referenced her journey.  She was an amazing woman of witness and service to God.  What a journey.  What a legacy.  What a blessing she was to all that knew her.  

Yesterday, I was deeply saddened by the events that took the lives of 20 children and 6 adults in Newtown, Connecticut.  I cried.  I heard of the teacher that locked her class in a bathroom in her classroom and when the police came in she wouldn't unlock the door.  They put their badges under the door.  "If you are really the police, you will find the key and unlock it."  Wow.  I don't think I would have had the fortitude for that thought to even enter my mind.  I cried again.

I spent a little time on-line yesterday.  Looking for something, anything to distract me from the realization that 26 families in Connecticut were being told their sweet angels were not coming home but were now watching down on them from heaven. 

Here are a few things I found...

"When I was a boy and I would see scary things in the news, my mother would say to me, 'Look for the helpers.  You will always find people who are helping.'  To this day, especially in times of 'disaster,' I remember my mother's words and I am always comforted by realizing that there are still so many helpers - so many caring people in this world." - Mister Rogers

Well said.  Keep your eyes open!

---

I watched this again yesterday.  These boys have the right idea.  

The Hollis Boys - speaking up against hate...

Don't be afraid to speak up!

---

A ray of hope, a nugget of truth, and BIG love!

26 Moments That Restored Our Faith in Humanity This Year

We all need to be reminded from time to time that people can do wonderful things.

---

Today, I learned their names.  There was a Jessica.  And an Olivia.  And a Grace, Charlotte, Daniel, Josephine, Ana, Dylan, Madeleine, Catherine, Chase and Jesse.  A James, Emilie, Jack, Noah, Caroline, Avielle, Benjamin and an Allison.  And six adults.  All women.  All trying to protect their students.  God, please bless them and hold them close... and hold their families closer.  

Life is a journey.  Sometimes it's glorious... sometimes it's a challenge... sometime it ends too soon.  Don't be afraid, always keep your eyes open, and remember to look for helpers.  

xo

No comments:

Post a Comment