Sunday, April 28, 2013

Quite a day! (a day later)

Yesterday was quite a day... it was exciting and exhausting and by 9:00 p.m. it was down right brutal.  Here's a little recap:

Friday night we planned on all going to bed early.  I went to sleep without any trouble around 10:30 p.m., the kids were already fast asleep.  In true form... I woke up just after midnight.  WIDE awake.  I tried to go back to sleep without any luck.  I was awake til 2 something.  Annie has set her alarm and got up at 3:00 a.m.  I got up sometime after that and sat with her until she was picked up at 3:35 a.m.  They had strict instructions to be at school at 3:45 to depart for Branson, for a music festival.  (Why so early you ask?  They were slotted to sing at 8:30 a.m. and 9:40 a.m.  More about Annie later.)   I laid back down but I don't think I went back to sleep.  I got Jake up at a little after 5:00 a.m., I got up and around, too.  Jake had to be at school at 5:45 a.m., his bus left at 6:00 for Emporia.  
Early morning in the rain...
it was kind of a spooky ghost town drive.

I came home and fell fast asleep - hard sleep.  I woke up at 7:48!  Eek!  We were supposed to leave at 8:00!  I showered and got ready in record time.  

First stop!  Bud Brown Volkswagon in Olathe.  I have been itching for a new (to me) car.  My car has been doing great lately but... anyway, Jack had found a car he wanted to look at on-line.  We knew we wouldn't have time to test drive it, we just wanted a peak.  We sat in a 2013 VW Passat.  We had spent Friday evening in Independence looking at Ford's, test drove a Taurus, which was not what we had originally been looking at either.  I had thought I wanted a new Ford Fusion.  We even sat down with the sales guy and filled out all the paper work but they weren't willing to work with us on a trade and we ended up walking out.  No worries, it just wasn't right.  I was just excited that we had the ball rolling and I knew I wanted to test drive more cars.
Emporia bound...

Second stop!  Emporia State University.  Blue Valley West had 14 students participating in the State Solo/Ensemble Festival.  We found Jake and his full entourage turned out to support him.  Our group included Jack and I, my folks, Marlene and Dave and my nephew, Christopher who is attending ESU.  Jake did a great job, despite us all being in the room with him - along with one of his teachers and two friends, or the fact that his accompanist playing a broken piano, he had to make a last minute dash down stairs to get his extra copy of music for the judge and watching the girl before him come out in tears.  When Jake finished we all clapped and even the judge said, "good job!"  As we walked out Jake had sweat coming down his face and said it wasn't his best.  His teacher, Mr. Kirk thought he might have had some air restricted because he'd buttoned the top button of his shirt.  We all gathered in the hall except for Dave.  He had stayed back to visit with the judge.  I joked that he was schmoozing him up.  I didn't take any pictures - shame on me!
 
Great job, Jake!
Woohoo!

And a close up...

We enjoyed out time together and had several moments of "oh how I wish I would have had a camera ready to capture that."  Dave said that the first time when she and Dave got out the their car and I asked "where's Mom and Dad?"  I had misunderstood that they were riding together, even though that made no sense because it was out of the way.  It's funny to think back now about directing my folks to our location and after a few scenic route turns they made it.  At one point I was standing on a street corner waving my hands, while on the phone with them saying "don't turn until you see me" and they still turned a block too early.  At lunch Jack and Dave gave poor Chris a hard time about this and that and girls and dating.  Jack being a true trouble maker leaned over and whispered something to Christopher about not taking dating advise from Dave.  Then Christopher said, "you dated Shelia?" (my brother's wife).  Another "oh how I wish I would have had a camara ready" moment for sure.  I think Chris was in shock and said "my mind is blown!"  He had never heard that before.  I don't know who's face was funnier - Dave's or Chris'.  Another photo opportunity missed and I didn't take any pictures of us all together.  :-(  Nevertheless, it was so fun to be there and celebrate Jake.  After lunch we all went our separate ways and Chris headed back to campus with us.  Jake was anxious to see how he did.  His score wasn't posted yet so he went off to find friends and we took Christopher home.  We came back to pick up Jake and he called to tell me he'd gotten a "1"!  He was so excited!  
One exhausted guy!

Stop three!  (quick stop) Back home.  Jake planned on joining the youth for the 30 hour famine but they were at a move, so he took a nap and enjoyed some peace and quiet.

Stop four!  Car wash for a final clean up, just in case.
And she looked great!

Stop five!  Back to the VW dealer.  We asked them to look at my car while we took a test drive.  We tested - of all things - the cup holders by stopping at McDonald's and getting a drink.  Jack didn't drive it.  Back to the dealership we went.  I was excited but trying to hold it in.  I knew if it didn't work out I would in time.  There was no hassling on the price - it was a great deal and Jack knew it.  There was some negotiating on the trade.  And I was prepared to walk, if necessary.  We could sell it ourselves and I didn't want to get the new one before the old one was gone.  We did a LOT of waiting.  Thankfully, they gave us a number that was acceptable - not great, but acceptable.  More waiting.  They were cleaning up my car and the finance guy was busy.  When it was time and we signed our names at least as many times as we did when we bought the house.  Each and every page had to be explained.  I was getting tired and hungry.  Finally, we were done!  Finally!  And they couldn't find the car keys.  It was comical.  Poor Brian, our sales guy couldn't catch a break.  I got the giggles.  They were able to find one.  Brian said, one of you get in the front and one in the back and I will go over all the knobs and buttons and features... so Jack got in the front passenger seat.  Lol!  (We were all tired.)  Jack apologized and hopped in back.  Wow, it was a lot to take in!  I asked about the owners manual... "hmm, it must be inside with the other key."  Poor guy.  He offered to bring them to me on Monday, but I said I could come back and get both.  As it turns out I still have a valet key.
Past and future...

Stop six! (quick stop) Home to get Jake.

Stop seven!  Church.  Dropped Jake off for the 30 Hour Famine.  He hadn't eaten since lunch, so he was participating even though he wasn't with them.

Stop eight!  A quiet dinner.  Both of us were too tired to talk.  I had hit a wall.

Stop nine!  HOME!  I was fast asleep by 9 p.m.

Jack stayed awake - bless his heart.  

Stop ten!  Jack picked up Annie and our neighbor boy at 11:50 p.m.  

I woke up in a panic just after midnight asking if Annie was home.  He said, "she's probably already asleep."  And I went right back to sleep as well... 

Annie had a great day.  They students were on three different buses.  The director was on Annie's bus and made it very clear, if the sun isn't shining the bus will be quiet.  :-)  They watched a movie on the way down - yes, in the middle of the night!  After they sang at College of the Ozarks they went to Silver Dollar City and except for getting her thumb smooshed when a bar dropped on it when her friend hopped up to put a water bottle away before going on a ride - she had fun.  One of her friends, Maggie, had never been on a roller coaster before so that was exciting.  It started raining really hard on one ride and they got soaked but that didn't dampen their spirits or fun.  They attended an awards ceremony at 5:00.  Her combined choir got a "1" rating and came in 2nd.  Her ladies choir also got a "1" rating and came in 2nd.  She noted that the group that came in first in combined only had two points taken off.  They left soon after that and stopped in Springfield to eat dinner.  She slept a little bit on the way back but "not much."  And she's done talking about her day and has requested, "no more questions, ok!?"  Ok, then!  

Wow, what a day.  I'm tired again just from writing about it.  ;-)

xo   

No comments:

Post a Comment