Monday, July 30, 2012

Exhausted

I'm exhausted.  Last night I turned off the tv at 10:30 p.m.  Olympics I love you, I do, but I need rest.  I set my alarm and I slept hard.  I'm not sure if the alarm didn't go off or I didn't hear it.  Jack woke me up at 6:20 a.m.  Jake had band camp at 7:00.  It begins at 7:00, which means you need to be on the lot with instrument in hand, ready to start at 7:00 a.m.  Jake arrived at 6:45 with jug full of ice water, backpack filled with music binder, sunscreen, sunglasses, hat, and lip balm.  What did he forget?  His gloves.  The tubas wear weightlifting gloves.  (His gloves are in his bag ready for tomorrow!)  Today was sack lunch day but I took him McDonald's.  He asked.  It was a simple request.  I took him some extra stuff... granola bar, fruit snacks, Powerade.  He graciously shared with someone that forgot their lunch.  (That's my boy!)

Annie and I watched the movie "A Thousand Words" with Eddie Murphy.  I did not have high expectations but was pleasantly surprised.  It was very thought provoking.  Basically Eddie's character learns to, for lack of a better term, shut up.  I'm usually one of the quieter ones in a group, but this really made me think about only speaking when necessary.  Make words matter.  It goes right along with the saying 'God gave us two ears and one mouth, so listen twice as much as you speak.'  As cute and clever as it may sound, it's true.  It's smart, not sarcastic.

Annie and I had a little chat about talking less last week after my hair appointment.  Annie really likes Natalie.  Natalie is quiet.  Annie was chatting away, Natalie tried to interject but Annie continued to chat.  Annie was talking so fast.  Natalie and I exchanged a look.  That "you know" look.  Natalie smiled, I got the giggles.  Natalie, bless her heart, would say one word every now again, giving Annie the encouragement she needed.  Oh to be a 12, with so many things you want to say and share.  God love her!  Forgive me, just thinking about it gives me a little buzzing in my ears.  (You know... nod, wink and smile.)  I know, I know, cherish it!  
This made me chuckle.  I had to share.
Annie bought a ring pop last night.  :-D

Have you ever seen "Benny and Joon"?  It's an early '90's movie with a young Johnny Depp.  I love it.  I want to watch it again with the kids.  It makes me think of how important it is to do what you love with the innocence of a child.  Who cares what people think.  (Random thought.)

Jake came home exhausted.  He went directly to his room for some down time.  I convinced him a quick shower would help.  It did and he was back downstairs within 15 minutes.  I was glad he didn't take a nap.  The tubas are going out to dinner together on Wednesday.  Tonight he's sore but happy.  He will sleep well! 

I watched water polo today.  I don't remember ever watching it before.  I watched kayaking, too.  (I want to do that someday, somewhere in a beautiful calm lagoon.)  I watched gymnastics and swimming.  Oh yeah!  I just watched Missy Franklin win.  Her tears after seeing her parents reaction, Oh, how I love it!

Ok, Olympic broadcasting people, listen up.  You have me for 40 more minutes, then I will have to turn it off.  Please make it good!  Please, oh please, oh please show the medal ceremony before my bed time!  Thank you.  ;-)  (Update:  it's 10:10 - I waited for it!  Missy is trying to sing... holding back the tears... lips quivering.  Oh this was SO WORTH STAYING UP A LITTLE LATE!) 

Good night!
xo

No comments:

Post a Comment