Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Just dance

We spent the day with my parents in Topeka.  There was no agenda.  We played gin rummy.  We played On the Farm - finishing in record time (Mom won with 11 cows, while I had 10 cows).  If only I'd been paying attention I might have won before she took her turn!  We drove over to see Christopher (my nephew), since we haven't seen him since he got back, (He's been in the Navy for the last 5 years.) but no one was home.  We ate lunch at Mr. Stirfry.  It was good, but too much!  Then home for more games:  we played Rook and Annie was the big winner.  Then Dad was ready for a nap.  He fell asleep at the table mid-conversation.  I ended it abruptly telling him to go lay down.  No more time had passed than Dad walking into the bedroom and the phone rang, it was my Aunt Virginia.  Annie had answered and after a quick visit walked into get her Grandpa - and he was already asleep - totally out - snoring.  I wish I could get to sleep that fast!  Next Mom, Jake and I played Scrabble.  Jake was talking smack with his Grandma and she was up for the challenge, giving it right back.  We used every tile.  And the big winner was... me!  Just lucky I guess.  
 
        Jake was so proud of his word - NINJA!    Annie got her hair in a messy bun!

It was a great visit.   

I need to get better at saying goodbye.  I didn't cry today, but just I'm terrible.  I love the phrase, "don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened."  It needs to be my farewell mantra.  

We no longer just ride in the car.  It might start out that way... kids plugged into their iPods or texting, but usually someone starts dancing (Ok, I admit it, it's me.) then it bursts into a full blown dance party.  Out come the earbuds - the phones are put away.  I absolutely love it!  I must have looked pretty crazy, because Annie couldn't look at me.  "You want me to take you seriously?"  I asked if she wanted me to stop and she said, "that's not necessary!"     "For me to stop or continue?"     "MOM!?"    We talked.    We laughed.    We waved at strangers.       We danced.         Annie sang.       We all sang.           It was fun.  

What the kids don't realize, is now I know exactly what moves to bring out when driving somewhere with their friends.  I can't wait!  :-)

xo

No comments:

Post a Comment