Sunday, July 22, 2012

The Scenic Route

Friday morning we started out early for a long weekend in St. Louis.  I had looked at the map Thursday night and had a good idea of where we'd be going but still used our GPS (Darla).  I wasn't surprised when we were asked to turn South off I-70 about 75 miles before St. Louis.  Our destination was Six Flags and is located in Eureka, about 30 miles Southwest of the city.  Little did I realize that Darla was taking us on a county road... narrow... windy... two lane road with no shoulder.  We went from one county road to another, each more beautiful than the last.  Don't get me wrong, I love taking the road less traveled on occasion, but it was a recipe for car-sickness.  Nausea aside, the trees were lush and green and there was no sign of drought - BEA-utiful!  We crossed the Mighty Mo (Missouri River) on a bridge that is not far from replacement...  (ScArY!)   and popped out in the picturesque town of Washington, on to Pacific and finally Eureka.  Darling little communities!  We grabbed an early lunch - an adventure in itself!

  
Many faces of Annie...  (ok, you can stop now!)

We were at Six Flags before noon.  We went on several rides - Mr. Freeze being a family favorite.  It shoots you 70 mph backwards through twists and turns then straight up 200 feet in the air where you hang for a few seconds then back through, frontwards.  It was awesome!  

 
Mr. Freeze - before and after.  Jake's hair makes me laugh.

Peace!

The weather was gorgeous, in the mid 80's but Annie was convinced the humidity was getting to her, so we decided the rides could wait and headed over to Hurricane Harbor water park.  We enjoyed the wave pool and lazy river.  During a temporary separated from Jack the kids and I were thoroughly entertained by people walked into the almost invisible stream of freezing cold sprinkler.  Every shriek or scream received a giggle from the kids and I.  I could have sat there all day.  Seriously, it was hilarious!  Jack and Jake decided to wait in line for the new ride - Bonzai Pipeline, where you "Step into an enclosed capsule where the floor drops out, sending you free-falling down the slide at 40 mph and into a side “super loop.”  From where I was sitting it looked much more like being flushed down the drain like Nemo.  It was hard for Jack to say he liked the ride because the water was freezing and he couldn't see a thing.  Jake loved it!

We finished with a few more rides at the park, then headed to the hotel to check in before going out to dinner.  We stayed at the Doubletree in Chesterfield.  We typically use Hotwire or Priceline and have had good luck and with 2 1/2 stars.  The Doubletree was listed at 3 1/2 - without breakfast or access to their athletic club.  Hmm.  Jack was a little worried before we left home but I was optimistic.  Jack checked us in and came back out to the truck with a big frowny face.  One queen-sized bed.  One.  Four people.  One bed.  Hmm.  Jack said, "the family next to me had the same problem, but 3 kids."  Thankfully, I had thought ahead and brought an air mattress since the kids don't like to sleep together... it'll be fine.  I was optimistic.  As we walked in with kids and belongings in tow we asked if we could get a roll-away bed.  The less than friendly front desk clerk made a quick phone call and "the last one will be taken to your room."  I was optimistic.  As we got to our room my first impression was - Wow, it's SMALL!  It's cccccold.  (Please remember we've taken several cruises, an inside cabin is small. !?)  Where are we going to put the beds?  Did I mention it was small?  BUT, I remained optimistic.  I found the clock - set an hour late.  I tried unsuccessfully to change the time.  ?   Weird.  Jack had brought his computer because work is crazy.  He got his computer out.  After a quick call downstairs for an access code, he was told it would be $10 a day.  He mentioned he's a Hilton Honors member only to hear, "Oh, you qualify for two free bottles of water."  Hmm.  After fiddling with the air conditioner and wall thermostat I reset the room temperature to 79.  I was optimistic.  Jack put his computer away.  He was livid!  The roll-away arrived.  It was odd, but I was optimistic.  I aired up the mattress and made the bed and got us settled in!  (Although there was a hint of the Opryland Hotel nightmare of 2001.)
Well... it's cozy!

We went to dinner at Dewey's Pizza in Kirkwood.  It was delicious!  The area made us think Downtown Estes Park meets Austin TX.  Super cute shops, just a block from the Kirkwood Train station.  It did not feel like it was in the middle of the suburbs but a quaint town.  

Saturday morning plan was to sleep in.  Sometime during the night I lost my optimism.  I'm not sure if it was Jake's flip flopping on the air mattress and my offer to let him sleep in the bed and taking his place on the air mattress that did it, but one thing I know for sure - I require more back support than an air mattress can offer.  I woke up cccold, stiff and sore!  I snuggled into bed with Annie on the roll-away - with the support of a 2x4.  One extreme to another, I suppose.  We all woke up grumpy.  Jake has a bug bite in an unfortunate spot which caused his flip flopping, which continued in bed and kept Jack awake.  And Annie was awakened by my ice cold toes searching for warmth.  (Sorry, honey!)

We took our time getting ready.  I had a short conversation with housekeeping, requesting more blankets.  Jack watched some of the British Open.  We decided to go to lunch at The Old Spaghetti Factory which was less than a mile away before going back to the park.  Darla took us on another scenic route.  We passed a mobile home park and Annie called it "redneck chic because they're all double wide!"  We hadn't had breakfast so the family was hungry.  We took our time looking over the menu.  Our waiter brought us a loaf of bread... which we gobbled down.  We all chuckled when Jake asked if I wanted the butt - of the bread.  Jack decided to talk like a hillbilly (with a hint of Forest Gump) and describe the fancy restaurant.  Annie chimed it "only thing that would make it redneck chic is sporks!"  More laughter.  We all ordered.  (Jack ordered a spicy Italian sausage sandwich, no cheese.) We all laughed when Jack somehow brought up the fact that Annie had been vogue-ing her belly button the day before.  (Use your imagination, you're probably not far off.)  The waiter brought more bread.  (A sweet little old wheelchair bound lady and her son were seated across from us.  They looked so adorable!)  Our salads arrived.  No big deal, just ordinary salads.  Then our waiter asked, "Would you like more bread?"  Jack responded: "YES, because the people across from us keep taking ours."  The waiter, without missing a beat replies, "Oh, I'm so sorry!  I'll keep my eye on them!"  Hysteria broke out, even the waiter was laughing!  I apologized and told him we don't get out much.  He laughed and told me not to worry about it, his family is nuts, too.  There was more but I think this is a good place to stop.  It is probably in the top 5 of funniest meals ever!  
The waiter brought Jack an extra sausage because he thought it looked lonely without cheese...

  
Jake really enjoyed his oreo shake for dessert... until ICE CREAM HEADACHE!

Six Flags was just a fun as second day.  Annie would argue it was funner because she was able to hang out with her good friend, Kate.  What a happy coincidence!
Kate's Facebook post- "Six flags was 10x better with this girl (and her awesome family) Jake I will get revenge on you for scaring me"   Kate and her family are pretty awesome, too!

Six Flags St. Louis recap...
Jack's favorite ride - Superman Tower of Power & Lazy River / least favorite - Ninja   
Janet's favorite ride - Wahoo Racer & Mr. Freeze / least favorite - Ninja   
Jake's favorite ride - Mr. Freeze & Screaming Eagle / least favorite - Ninja  
Annie's favorite ride - Skyscreamer & Mr. Freeze / least favorite - Superman Tower of Power 

We stayed until close.  Lots of fun.  Lots of laughs.  A little motion sick.  We were all tired!  We returned to find our room had not been made up.  No blankets had been delivered.  Clean towels were left on the chair, so we knew housekeeping had come into the room... hmm. ?  I called the front desk and asked if it's typical for the room not to be made up if you stay more than one night.  Very rude desk clerk had no answers.  I requested blankets and conveyed my lack of satisfaction.  No response.  Nothing.  Not so much as a simple apology for the obvious mistake.  Bummer.  I wasn't mad,  just disappointed.  I reminded myself if this is the worst thing to happen to us I should be thankful (something I had also said to Jack the day before).

Jake got a Benedryl to ease the itching.  Annie was all tucked in like a taco, just the way she likes.  Jack took a Tylenol PM because he was feeling old and sore.  I was too tired to require anything.  Annie woke up cold and wandering.  I thought she might crawl in bed with Jake so I asked her to join me.  (I don't sleep well being the middle of a sandwich, but oh well.)  Jake got up a little bit later, I think he was sleep walking, I told him to go back to bed and he did.

Jack woke up early to watch the British Open.  We showered and packed up.  We decided to take our chances and just stop somewhere along the way for lunch.  We found this little place not far from the hotel...  
Espinos! 
Which will soon be on Diners Drive-Ins and Dives with Guy Fieri!
They taped it on June 12th!  What a fun coincidence!

The drive home was uneventful and all highway.  No scenic route today.  Suzy was happy to have us home.

xo

1 comment:

  1. Yay!! I loved reading it all! I'm glad you are doing this and have added it to my bookmarks!

    ReplyDelete