Wednesday, January 30, 2013

A lost art and more planning

We are still working on enrollment for next year.  Annie just finished.  She had to sign the form at the bottom of the page.  It's hilarious to watch her try and sign Julianne.  She had to ask me how to make a "u" in cursive.  There is a lot to be said of the art of handwriting, there are many schools that no longer teach cursive.  I remember well the day each of the kids brought home their cursive "license" in 3rd grade.  They both used it through 5th grade but then, it stopped, and became block letters.  Now they only sign their name that way occasionally.  And they both have to think about it.  It's actually close to the look Jack gets when he has to sign "John", it takes lots of concentration.    I love to write in cursive.  Don't get me wrong, it's not beautiful but it's mine.  I can tell my the writing on a envelope who it's from - my Mom, my sister, Sarah... I have a smile on my face even before I look at the return address or open the envelope.  It makes me a little sad to think it will someday be a lost form of art.  

Jack went to the high school tonight for "Planning for the Future".  I think it's ridiculous that they planned this meeting two days before enrollment starts.  He learned a bunch.  He came home with words of wisdom for both kids.  Jake: "push yourself!  Take classes that challenge you!"  Annie:  "Figure out what clubs/activities you want to do in high school."  Basically, he was telling her to be prepared to get involved.  Jake wants to take music theory, which I was surprised and excited about.  Annie has decided against taking PE this summer, she didn't want to wear a heart rate monitor 10 hours a week.  (I was a little disappointed because she would have given me the incentive to go to the gym everyday!  BUT, it's not about me and I totally understand that.)  The kids may end up taking the same class this summer, Design Fundamentals - a prerequisite for almost every art class.  Annie will be taking three honors classes and Latin 1.0.  Jake will be taking Algebra II, Chemistry, and German 2.0., among others.  They will both be challenging pushing themselves that's for sure  Wow, they are both so smart and talented!  Yes, I am one proud Mama!

I worked out today and I sweat so much I think I could have rung out my shirt.  It felt good!   

I was very underwhelmed with our snow fall.  I didn't even get to go out and shovel.  :-(

Only 45 days until we set sail!  Only 7 Saturdays!  Yeah!

xo

No comments:

Post a Comment