Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Never stop dreaming


I have hopes and dreams for my kids, every parent does.  Sometimes our dreams change.  We have a dream we want so badly but it's more like a bookmark or place holder, things change, we adapt.  We dream new dreams.  I wanted Annie to play the flute through her freshman year of high school.  This summer I realized my simple wish wasn't being true to Annie.  I left the decision to her, band or choir.  I love that my kids are musical.  I love to hear them singing in the shower or humming along to whatever is on the radio.  I love that they play instruments.  Annie didn't make a quick decision.  She took her time, weeks in fact.  She chose choir.  She has a beautiful voice, it's no secret.  As it turns out, I don't think marching band would be a good fit for her.  I still have many other dreams for her.  It's fun to dream up new dreams.


Last February I found a website: www.dayzeroproject.com.  I created a list of 101 and I have 1001 days to complete it.  I've written about it before.  I was looking at my list today.  I hadn't reviewed it lately and had a couple check marks to add.  Some of the items I listed are hope and dreams.  Places I want to visit.  Things I want to do with the kids.  I am so glad I found this site.

I love my job.  Sometimes it's amazing what our students can accomplish in just one year.  Last year we had a student that had very little verbal skills.  She could say only a few words, but we hardly ever heard a peep.  We are blessed to have her in our class again this year.  Now, she's answering questions, making comments, singing songs and exceeding our wildest dreams.  Some people go their whole life wondering if they made a difference, I am so blessed to see changes right before my eyes.  

Is this the job I dreamed of as a child?  Well, no, not exactly.  My earliest memory of a career choice was to be a poodle rancher.  ?  Yes, you read that correctly, a poodle rancher.  I have NO idea how old I was or where I came up with it... but it sure is funny now.  I remember in grade school, after a Girl Scout outing at KNI (Kansas Neurological Institute), then later at The Capper Foundation, how much I enjoyed working with children with special abilities.  It took me a while to get here, but I made it.  

Today at work I was called a super star.  We have a student that feeds on negative attention.  His actions are deliberate.  He knows exactly what to do to get a reaction.  The teacher and other para have a hard time directing him without showing emotion or using words.  Today, I worked with him and only him.  We have tried many different techniques but today when he tested me, I gave no emotion and corrected him without saying a word.  If he was given a direction - he did it - independently or with hand over hand assistance.  I wore sunglasses all morning because he wants to see your eyes, your reaction.  He was uncomfortable.  He was not in control.  It was the first time we saw positive changes.  When I gave him positive re-enforcement it was BIG.  Big smiles.  Big rewards.  Big positive reactions.  (No direct eye contact - always sunglasses on.)  He didn't know how to react at first.  I'm going to work one-on-one with him for the next two weeks.  I'm looking forward to the challenge.  Do I expect it to be easy?  No way.  I have to be thinking one step ahead of him at all times.  I have big dreams for this little guy... but isn't that what's most exciting?  Looking past limitations and disabilities and seeing what's possible; unlimited options with special abilities?  I think so.    Think about it, that's something everyone has in common...  We all dream.  We all need to look past our limitations and embrace our special abilities.  Today, I made a difference.  Today, I was a super star.  Tomorrow is full of possibilities.
  
Huh!?  Dr. Seuss, I hadn't realized!
:-)

Never stop dreaming!

xo

1 comment: