Sunday, November 11, 2012

To serve and be served

Today is Veteran's Day.  A day to thank the men and women that have served our great nation in military service.  I am filled with gratitude.  I was happy to see (on Facebook) that my nephew, Christopher, was recognized this morning at church.  (My sister-in-law Kelley Jo took this picture.  I hope she doesn't mind that I borrowed it.)  A special thank you to Dad, Christopher, Bob, Kristina, Kurtus and many other family and friends for your dedication and service.
Christopher is a US Navy Seabee EA3 (SCW)

---

This morning I went with several youth and adults to Grand Avenue Temple UMC to prepare for and serve lunch for Lazarus Table.  We were also blessed to join them in worship.  What an inspiring ministry serving downtown KC.


The sanctuary is impressive 
with an Opus 190 pipe organ behind the pulpit.
It's a unique gem and features over 3500 pipes!  Amazing! 

The windows and skylights are Tiffany stained glass.

The church was built in 1912. 
Sadly, the skylights have been covered due to leaks 
and the stained glass windows are in need of some TLC.
But the love filling the building was incredible.
Hope and joy overflowed.


Where Everybody is somebody special
reaching out to unite all in God's love.
I love that!

 
Open Hearts, Open Minds and Open Doors.

My favorite part of the service was the offering.
Not your ordinary offering, but giving your gift of music or poetry.

Youth to my left - Annie, Jake and Dottie

(I can't come up with a witty comment... fill in the blank.)

And to my right - Linda, Melanie, Jack, Alex and Deb.

Jake volunteered to acolyte.
Melanie and Dottie were ushers.

The youth were ready to serve lunch!
Melanie, Alex, Dottie, Annie and Jake
Jake's job was to count people as they walked in.

Annie was busy passing out desserts.
LOTS of choices thanks to Panera Bread donations.

After we finished
we enjoyed lunch together at Winstead's.
What a great bunch of kids!

Be a witness at least once everyday.  Use word if necessary.  (I love that!)

I hope you had a blessed day!

xo

No comments:

Post a Comment