Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Wandering

I started this the FIRST Sunday of Lent (yes, 3 weeks ago - I'm embarrassed to admit it, but it's true.)

Have you ever taken out on a walk with no particular plan or destination?  I have done it a time or two on vacation but never from home.  How come?  Why am I afraid to wander? When I was little I recall being told "don't wander off."  As children we are taught not to... is it because wandering has no purpose?  Or is it perceived as squandering your time?  If so, that's a shame.

It's the first Sunday in Lent.  It's a time when many people give something up, just as Jesus fasted for 40 days.  I have never been one to give something up but instead I make a conscience effort to do something.  Devotions, random acts of kindness, reconnecting with friends, etc.  

This mornings sermon was about The Wandering Way - Temptation Mountain.  Have you ever seen the movie "The Way"?  I hadn't heard of it but Jack and I are both very interested in watching it. It's a story about a mans journey, "El camino de Santiago" or the way of St. James in Spain.  Just as Jesus wandered for 40 days, this man travels 800 and some odd kilometers.  He tells a local he is not doing it for himself, but the local man says this journey must be all about you.  As he starts his journey he heads the wrong direction... and in that moment I was captured.  How often do we wander around looking and waiting for our internal compass to direct us to our true North? 


As I reflect I wonder, am truly listening to my heart and headed the right direction?  I think my path too frequently looks more like this...
it's a map of Highway 40 - near Berthound Pass in Colorado, it goes this way and that with switchbacks.  

I know, it's a random location.  I found it because of a recent avalanche in that area.  BUT can you imagine driving on this road without a map or walking on this path, looking for markers, unsure you're headed in the right direction?  I would certainly be convinced I was not on the right road and I would most likely lose all sense of direction.  For some reason, I have a strong desire to travel this road.   

---


That's where I left it until a week ago yesterday Monday... (I think) 
  
Wandering has been a topic on my mind most of this week.  The sermon last Sunday still referenced The Way but wrestled with are we walking our own path or one that we were lead down.  Again, the father referenced not walking the El Camino for himself, but his son. I know people who have gone into a career, not by their own choosing but because they were following in their father or mothers footsteps.  While I have often thought it was noble to go into the "family" business, of sorts, I wonder how often they life with regret or anger or disappointment.  

When I was in Girl Scouts we took a field trip to Kansas Neurological Institute, and then later, The Capper Foundation.  I'm not sure at what point I felt in my heart that I was supposed to work with individuals with special needs but I did.  I wasn't sure how I was going to get here.  My path was crazy... but I'm here.  Do I regret not going to college and making my path a bit straighter?  No.  I don't think I would have the same appreciation if I did.  I not saying my days are full of sunshine and rainbows, they are not.  My oh my, that is far from the truth.  Jack doesn't like hearing that I deal with violent little ones, but they are learning and growing and there is often resistance, but there is also progress.  I always keep in mind that we can only control what we know and see and there is ALWAYs a lot going on outside of my time with them.  It's crazy to say but I have a lot more patience and tolerance for little ones with struggles than I do our peer models (typical kids).        


---

And now it's Sunday, March 23rd.  I probably should just leave it wherever I'm at and start a new post, but that hasn't happened.  Lots has happened.  I guess I will start with the current topic and then bring you up to speed on our goings-ons (yes, I may have just made up a new word, I'm not sure.)


So, today's sermon continued on The Way.  It focused more on the lines of "we were expecting you."  Ok, confession time.  I would LOVE to have my house in order enough that if someone decided to drop by unexpectedly I would welcome them with open arms and have snacks at the ready for just that moment.  BUT I live in a state of organized chaos... that's probably over-exaggerated.  I live much closer to organized chaos than say Martha Stewart.  


Regardless, in the movie (The Way) the main character is exhausted, his feet are hurting and he tells his fellow travelers he's taking a break and they can go ahead.  He goes around a corner and finds a family eating dinner.  The father stands and welcomes him saying, "Welcome Pilgrim!  We've been expecting you!" and invited him to join in their meal.  Wouldn't that be amazing?  And just think that there is a heavenly banquet waiting for each of us... I don't know about you, I CAN wait that day but it's something to look forward to.  

There are talk about watching The Way together after Lent is over.  I would enjoy that.


---

Now, I'm going back to Spring Break (I don't want to say how long ago that was).  On Tuesday, Annie and I went to Topeka to meet up with my sister and get Jake.  He had gone over the previous Thursday.  He had a good visit; shoot some guns, played some cards, ate anchovy pizza, explored the woods and broke in their new computer.  All things a teenage boy enjoys.  We also got to visit with my folks and see my great nephews, Isaac and Sam.  Always enjoyable!


Wednesday was a crazy day.  I am a champion at procrastination.  We finally had our new carpet scheduled and needed to get furniture moved, carpet, pad and staples removed from the family room, stairs, and hallway.  No worries, it all got done.  And I was SORE!  My fingers, hands and knees ached for days but I'm not complaining.  



 
We pulled up the carpet and pad everywhere but the living/dining room.
We saved a few bucks but they did it SO much faster!

 
Annie LOVED the acoustics!  
She sat at the top of the stairs and played for quite a while.

The whole ordeal made Suzy terribly nervous.

 
<-- not without complication.  He wasn't sure there was enough carpet.
--> so he had to recut it in the driveway!

The best part was on Thursday afternoon the guys told me if I could get all the "little stuff" moved out of the living and dining rooms they would move the big stuff and removed the carpet and pad and get it all installed in one day!  Woo hoo!  I called Jake and his buddy to come over and help with the little stuff and it didn't take long at all.

 
Success!  And they finished in one day!
It's gorgeous!  

Friday, I spent much of the day purging.  We made Isaac, Sam, and Addy each a pile of books.  We filled a box of books to sell at Half Price Books.  Annie had been wanting to go, so this was perfect timing.  I started a new bag for Goodwill.  It's still a work in progress but it feels good.



I got to watch the sun rise, in the rear view mirror.

Saturday (March 22nd) I was up and out of the house before 7 a.m. and hit the road.  I picked up my folks and we headed to Marion, Kansas.  My Dad's hometown.  He has been diving into genealogy.  He's not just filling in the branches on our family tree but going back generations.  In an effort to fill in a few more trees in our grove he called to his cousins - second, third maybe some fourth, I'm not sure.  I believe there were 12 people that gathered. My Dad was joined by his three sisters; Virginia, Marilyn and Carmen and brother, Max. Max had a new computer program that, as Dad put it, "is going to do must of the work for us."  Believe it or not, I think he was a little disappointed when he came to that realization. He has been pounding it out of his computer for... gosh, I don't know how long... years maybe.  It was a successful day.  As we left for home we drove past the old homestead.  It has been sold and is sitting in wait.  


 
<-- Hayen Farmstead.  The fence is gone the but gate still stands.
--> Youngtown Church.  It closed in 2001.  I love that they kept the sign.

The land is being farmed but I'm not sure by whom.  We drove past Youngtown Church, which closed and has been remodeled into a home.  We stayed on the gravel road and followed Dad's request going on another mile, then crossing the highway and going back so-and-so's old place.  I really wish I could remember their names.  Dad was taking us down memory lane.  It was amazing to hear these friends had walked to church and school (it was miles!).  Then after a few turns we popped back out on the highway next to the "Can-of-peaches" place.  No, not their name.  There had been a family named Kegobean (I have no idea how to spell it) and I don't know how we renamed this particular homestead the "Canopeaches" but it was a running joke and was a landmark I looked at for a huge chunk of my life.  :-)  

While Dad was having his family meeting Mom and I did a bit of antiquing around town. We ventured out to The Copper Shed and ate lunch in Hillsboro.  I'm pretty sure I'd never been there before.  I had heard about the red barn and was intrigued.  Turns out it used to be the old alfalfa mill and was down a junk haven.  It was fascinating.  Although neither of us bought anything there, if I ever want to buy a bunch of wooden chairs or a bench or anything made of metal, I will definitely go back.  


 
Bearly Makin It Antiques

The Copper Shed (isn't the banister amazing!?)

 
more treasures at The Copper Shed.

Mom and I enjoyed our day wandering around the Flint Hills.

The Old Alfalfa Mill
(another Bearly Makin It Antiques location)

 
<-- Need an old door?
--> Or a set of old time school desks?

Or... LOTS of other stuff?

I stopped by to check on my Uncle Dave.  There is a lot of construction going in his apartment building and I knocked many times before I got to see to eyes.  He only opened the door a crack.  He was feeling under the weather and although I asked if he needed food or company, my offer was rejected.  I had hoped to play a few games of cards but he was not up for the challenge.  Hopefully I will get down there again soon. 

We weren't on the highway long and Dad was out - exhausted.  



He happily woke up in Emporia for dinner at his favorite...


And treated himself to a cherries and cream shake and got a pint to take home.  By the time we arrived at their house we were all exhausted.  

Ok, it's been over a week since then.  Work is crazy and exhausting.  I have lots to catch you up on but I want to finish this one before I start another... I'm hoping to have it posted by the weekend.  I will try!

Tomorrow (April 2nd) is Paula's (Jack's Mom) birthday.  Happy Birthday, Paula! 

xo

No comments:

Post a Comment