Wednesday, April 30, 2014

A Life Lesson and Farewell

Today, the kids were busy making plans... even before I left work I got a phone call asking about the possibilities.  I came home and took a quick bathroom break only to find an empty roll  where the toilet paper should go and a partially used used roll sitting on top of the spares.  I was instantly annoyed. Right then and there I made a decision... I finished my business, washed my hands and the kids were both anxiously waiting for me outside the door.  I announced, "I am going upstairs to your bathroom.  IF I find an empty roll on the holder and a partially used roll on the counter - all plans will be cancelled this evening."  Jake immediately tried to zip around me to make the correction.  I stopped him.  I walked upstairs and found an empty roll in the holder - an empty roll on the counter, next to an almost empty roll.  !?  Bummer.  Yep, I was disappointed but not nearly as disappointed as my two teenagers.  I encouraged them to go outside, take Suzy for a walk, or listed several other options.  Where do you think they are?  Sulking in their rooms?  Well, it may have started off as sulking but they are both asleep, and have been for about 45 minutes now.  I guess they were tired and maybe this will give them both the opportunity to catch up.

This picture is from last summer.
Annie's bed was full - Jack and Winnie.

Today, Sarah and Matt said goodbye to their beloved yellow dog.  Winnie was 19 years old. They got her a year or two before we got Suzy Q.  It seems like forever ago.  They spent the last several days spoiling her.  So many fond memories, I can't help but smile.  What a special blessing it is to have a dog as part of the family.  Like Suzy, Winnie went everywhere with them.  She is intertwined in each of us.  My heart aches at their loss.  I have shed tears but I know her time had come.  She is now at peace.  She is doing victory laps around in the big dog park in the sky.   :-)

xo

No comments:

Post a Comment