Sunday, May 4, 2014

BBQ, sunshine and art!

It's Legacy BBQ weekend!  The sun is shining.  The birds are singing.

Friday night was spent prepping the meat:  hacking off the extra fat and separating the brisket flat from the point - which makes burnt ends.  We had three willing and able helpers.  It made the work much quicker and we were heading home a little after 9 p.m.

Jack usually tries to sleep in on Saturday but this week, when he really needed it, it didn't work out.  I woke up to the sound of a movie he was watching.  I got up and he did go back to sleep for a little while.  Annie and I picked up a friend of hers then met Sue and headed to the Brookside Art Fair.  It was very nice.  Fancy.  Expensive.  I saw many things I liked. Some I loved.  And some that, well, I didn't quite understand the concept or the price.  My favorites were Springfield Pottery and Whimsical Stitched Art.  We wandered across the street to the "new" dime store.  A woman passed us saying, "I have sensory overload after being in that store!"  While it was a bit like walking back in time to the dime stores of yesteryear, they had a little bit of anything you would possibly need or want.  Sue found fabric paint and some other art supplies, as well as a few other finds.  Annie and Astolfo walked up to the science/toy store.  We tried to decide on lunch but decided rather than fight the crowds we would go somewhere else.   After a quick bite to eat we parted ways and I took the kids home.  
.  
I touched base with Jack and he was feeling rushed and behind schedule.  He still had a bit of shopping to do, so I took that list and he headed off to the church to get things started.  He has a pretty strict schedule that he follows, hour by hour.  I got in a quick nap before going to the grocery store and Sam's Club.  The hardest part was deciding what meats to buy for the cookout.  Astolfo was joining us so I asked for requests.  All I got back was "he's unopinionated."  I asked if he wanted liver or tongue and after the initial response of "Ew!" He quickly decided he wanted "something normal."  I had to laugh.  I got a variety, brats and chicken breast.  

I double checked the list Jack had left for me, got the kids picked up and we were back on the road by 5:15 p.m.  The cookout/potluck started at 6:30 p.m.  I took chips, dip, carrots, celery and peanut butter, bbq baked 3 beans, and ice cream cups.  Jack hadn't eaten lunch so as soon as we arrived he put our meat on the grill he had ready and waiting.  We had a good group and lots of food.  Elizabeth brought ribs, not realizing they took several hours.   By the time they were done we had a late arrival looking for food, he didn't bring any.  I joked that Liz should just add it to his tab when he ate almost every scrap we had left.  It was great fellowship and enjoyed by all.  The kids and I left around 10:30.  The last of the group left at midnight.  Jack slept, a little.  

I woke up, wide awake at 4:45 a.m.  Jack's never spent the night before the BBQ at church alone and I just had a weird feeling something wasn't right.  I didn't want to wake him - if he was sleeping - so I sent Jack a text at 4:53 a.m.  "you doing ok?"  Then about 15 minutes later, when I hadn't heard from him, I sent another asking him to call me when he was awake.  He called me at 5:57 a.m.  It seemed like forever!  I asked if he needed help or if I should come earlier.  He said he was fine.   I tried and tried but I didn't go back to sleep.  Suzy must have sensed I was awake because moments later she thought it should be breakfast time.  She can be very persuasive.  And whiny.  (insert eye-roll)  She was a happy dog, sawing logs by the time I finished getting ready.        

As we were walking out Jack called as asked me to bring gauze and tape... ?  Uh oh!  

We made two quick stops and arrived with sausage biscuit and iced tea with lemon in hand to find Jack had nearly cut off the tip of his left thumb.  Pastor Howard had helped out with a band-aid but it wasn't doing the trick.  Howard followed it up with a story that made Jack light headed, sweaty and nauseous.  I never actually looked at the injury.  I just caught a glimpse and that's all I needed.   I don't know if his thumb nail saved it or ... well, it will be interesting to see how big a scar he gets.  He kept a blue glove on which provided protection and a little pressure.

The BBQ was a huge success.  Several people said we should rename it "the Diemer's feed the church BBQ."  :-)  It is far from a family affair and we are always thankful we have LOTS of help.  It's hard to believe this was the fifth year Jack has done it.  

I am thankful for the gorgeous weather.  It was a perfect weekend - weather wise, that is.  I am looking forward to a quiet evening and week.  

Jack's Mom's surgery went very well.  She was dismissed yesterday and is recovering at home.  Her pain was much less than her gallbladder, which was a very good thing.  Prayers for a quick recovery would be appreciated.

Also, please keep the kids in your prayers.  Only 19 more days of school and they need to be focused and present.  Annie's friend Astolfo will be moving to Phoenix, the first of June. She has had so many good friends move away... and it's never easy.  

xo 
  

 
BBQ cookout and potluck!

And watching boys climb trees...  -->

Jake and Astolfo
"clearing dead limbs"


Spending a late night at the church!
Beautiful!     

No comments:

Post a Comment