Tuesday, September 3, 2013

(I think I started this on Sunday...)

A friend recently posted on Facebook that she'd like to send her teenager back.  "This one has too much attitude"  It made me laugh.  I can relate but I don't want to send mine back.  I just wish I didn't have to replay conversations.  I'm sure most of you can relate.  Conversations that include "Have we talked about this before?" or "Does this sound familiar?" or "Is this new information to you?  Because it shouldn't be."  I find myself saying those frequently.

I am certain my parents can relate and I'm pretty sure this falls into the category of "when you have a child I hope they're just like you," that I heard growing up.  I'm guessing I was just as hard to get along with, to which I tell my parent, I am so sorry and thank you for putting up with me.

I am very aware that teenagers are "me" driven.  How does this effect me?  What's in it for me?  It's all about me, kind of thing.  I try to be aware of that.  I try to be patient and understanding.  I try not to yell - because we all know, yelling does no good.  It makes me think of Layla - our now 5 year old friend in Tanzania. When she was here she told me "whining does no good."  Yelling at a teenager does no good.  It only frustrates and I need to remember that.

This too shall pass.  

I just keep thinking that I'd rather they learn life lessons at home in a safe, loving environment - rather than the cold, mean, real world where consequences can be much different.  Our job, that I am so very grateful to share with Jack, isn't done yet. 

It's going to be interesting to see Jake's reaction when he has his driver's license in hand and is unable to drive because he hasn't proven to Jack or I that he can handle a clutch without us present.  Jack offered to take him out today but he was too busy - hanging out with a friend.  

I offered to take the kids out to take pictures for their photography classes.  Jake turned me down and Annie forgot to bring her camera.  They both seem to think if they take 20 pictures there's bound to be something good.  I wish I knew the percentage of "good" pictures an average photographer takes.  I know I take LOTS of pictures hoping for a few good ones.  I probably delete close to 75% of what I take.  The kids haven't realized that yet.  And unfortunately it will be very apparent in their grades by the end of the week. Another life lesson, I suppose.  

Annie has a project due tomorrow that she was convinced wasn't due until Thursday.  She doesn't handle stress well.  She realized she'd left her paper in class so is relying on friends. She didn't start working on it until this morning.  So far, her honors classes have a lot of homework.  

Here were a few pictures from yesterday:

I took the kids out to get a few shots.  We picked Annie up at a friends house and I did not check my equipment.  She wasn't able to take a single picture - dead batteries.  (Woops!  My mistake.)  She did homework in the car while Annie while Jake ventured out...
Just before he saw the beware of dog sign...
heard the dog barking 
and took off running.

Cross in the sunset.
Next to the old church in Morse.

"My teacher wants me to get close.
Do you want to walk up there with me?"
Me:  No.  I'll wait in the car.

Jake running back after getting attacked by bugs and a huge grasshopper.

Pretty balloons on our way home.

Time for trying on dresses, Annie!
For Lauren's wedding,
a perfect fit!

And her homecoming dress!
It fits a lot different than on our Spring Break cruise.
Beautiful!

Today is one day closer...


Annie picked out pumpkin muffins at Sam's Club.  I think she's even more excited about pumpkin season than I am!  :-)  Yay!

I was scatter-brained today at school and I put a little girl on the wrong bus. THANKFULLY, I figured it out before the buses left.  Here's hoping tomorrow is a better day.  

xo

No comments:

Post a Comment