Sunday, September 8, 2013

A day to be grateful

This morning my folks drove over and joined us for worship.  I snuck out of Sunday School early to join them in the Narthex.  We visited and before long it was full and loud with people.  It was wonderful - not just because my folks were there but because of all the people.  The sermon gave me time to reflect on being a Preachers Kid.  Moving... new house, new space, where will I find MY place.  We always seems to move on or around my birthday.  Once we celebrated with an angel food cake at a rest stop between Hiawatha and Topeka.  I think that may have been with one of the moving vans had a flat or wrecked and some of our stuff was damaged. I'm not sure about that though.  The sermon focus was beyond the walls... what kind of Christian am I outside of church?  When do I build walls between myself and someone else?  Why?  He showed many pictures of churches with big wide open spaces and few walls.  It was fascinating! After the sermon several people joined the church and there were two baptisms.  It seemed so intimate.  Max was baptized.  He's 7, I think.  Jake and Annie have babysat for him and his little brother.  Max wanted to be baptized by immersion, instead Pastor Howard used water from the River Jordan he had gotten in 2000 on a trip to the Holy Land.  After the baptisms we sang a song. I don't recall ever hearing this song before, or if I had it must have been before I had kids.  I don't know if it was phrase about 'being with you before you were born' or 'when you die' - paraphrasing because I can't remember the title or the exact words - but it really touched my heart.  I cried out of only one eye for the first little bit but before long I was a faucet.  I looked at Jake and Annie and cried harder.  I looked around at my church family in a full sanctuary.  I looked at a large choir looking back at me.  I am so grateful for each and every person there.  I remember sitting in church a year ago in tears because people were leaving.  I didn't know if or how it would ever feel complete again, but it does.  Thank you God and Pastor Howard for bringing us back together.  


Heading home.

I didn't realize the sun was so bright.

But I love this picture.

It was so nice to have them visit.


Tomorrow is September 9th.  9-9.  I have told you about a little boy named Braden.  I've written about him a time or two.  On July 8th they received news that he was again fighting cANCER.  No one expected him to see his 9th birthday.  Tomorrow, 9-9 is Braden's 9th birthday!  Join me in taking a detour to the park for a walk, a quick stop for ice cream or something unplanned and fun to help Braden celebrate his special day and say a prayer for him.  What a blessing!  And as his Mama always says, TAKE THAT cANCER!  (she refuses to capitalize it)

xo

(I realize I was a bit all over the place tonight.  I hope you can connect the dots of my thought patterns and ramblings.)

No comments:

Post a Comment