Friday, September 6, 2013

HaPpY BiRtHdAY, JACK!

We enjoyed an evening together.
The kids thought since it's Dads birthday...
one picture.

Ok, it's not the best but hey, I'm not complaining!



This evening we took a field trip to Blue Springs, Missouri.  The car ride there was quiet. Jake played his video game for a little while.  Then took a nap while Annie played the game.  They were both tired and a little grumpy.

Our destination
Plowboys are a BBQ team that Jack follows.
The have won several competitions
and just opened a restaurant last Tuesday.

Knowing it would be busy - we left early.

No, sadly they didn't have an early bird special.
(sorry old man)

Birthday dinner at 4:50 p.m.
ha ha ha!

Jumbo burnt end sandwich with fries for Jack.

The jumbo used the same bun as a regular sandwich but lots more meat.

We all had a burnt end sandwich.
Annie wanted ribs but we'd have to wait 30 minutes.
She was too hungry to wait, so chose burnt ends.

Delicious.

I would not recommend the sweet potato fries, though.
:-(
Bummer.  I love sweet potato fries.

Regular Fries?  Yes.

Pit beans?  Yes.

Yum!

Jack exchanged several messages with Todd, the owner, after our meal.  I think we'd go again if it wasn't quite so far away.  I don't know what all they discussed but Jack gave him an honest review of our likes and dislikes.

Can you see the smiley face in Jake's root beer?

(I didn't see my phones reflection until now.  Oops!)

Jake got re-energized with caffeine.
Annie just needed food.

There was lots of laughter at our table.

I must be tired because I can't recall anything specific,
but I do remember hearing Jack belly laugh several times.
It's one of my favorite sounds.

After dinner we took a trip to Independence Center.

The kids laughed and talked the whole way there.
(another one of my favorite sounds)

Annie needed to go to Hot Topic
to get birthday gifts for her friends.

Jack was so confused before we left home when Annie mentioned
getting band merch (merchandise) for her friends.
He thought she was talking about marching band.
"No Dad, Rock band!"
Ha ha! 

The kids walked out ahead of us at the mall.
Talking and laughing and walking together.
A rare sighting.
It warmed my heart.

"We love this mall!"

I still have a bit of guilt - just a bit
that I didn't tell my kids there were malls
in KC until they were 5th grade.
I had them convinced the closest one was in Denver.
Lol!

On our way home the kids and Jack were being silly.
Lots of potty humor. 
I asked several times for the topic to be nixed.
I repeated myself a third time 
and Jack made some crack about me being the adult.
(I rolled my eyes)
Annie quickly responded, "it's her duty." 
~ all three of them laughed.
"Duty!  Get it Mom?"
More laughter.
(another eye roll from me)
"I'm so punny!"
Ok, that one got me, and I joined the laughter.

:-)

Several hours after our meal we enjoyed cake at home.
White cake with butter cream frosting
no sprinkles, please
exactly what he wanted.

Happy Birthday, Jack!

I am glad you had so much to laugh about today.
Even if some was at my expense.

And no, I will never leave the house again wearing matching outfits with Jack.
Tonight it was an accident - green tops and khaki shorts.
It was awkward and gave me anxiety.

xo

No comments:

Post a Comment