Friday, July 12, 2013

IT's Friday! Woo hoo!


Vacation Bible School has come to an end.  We "traveled" to Japan, Zimbabwe, the United Kingdom, Australia, and Mexico.  The crafts suggested were good - but... I don't know, call me an overachiever but I thought the crafts needed to focus more on being true to each country.  SO, I turned to my trusted source - Pinterest and found a treasure trove of ideas. Monday, we made carp kites.  Not as simple or easy as I had hoped for the oldest group (perfectionist) but everyone liked them.  Day two we had them design their own t-shirts, think the simplest version of tie dye.  Wednesday they made tin crosses from Zimbabwe. They were actually tin foil covered crosses cut out of cereal boxes - embellished with African designs.  Another big hit.  Thursday we studied Australia and made Aboriginal paintings started from by tracing each little child's hand.  Instead of sticks I provided a 3" stick of wood.  It received thumbs up - yeah, craft team!  And finally for Mexico, we made maracas! Which was a HUGE hit.  The best and simplest, in my opinion.  Two plastic spoons; a plastic Easter egg; corn, beads, or beans - no more than 5 or 6; white Duck Tape; and Sharpie markers for decorating.  Each child got to make two and enjoyed dancing and singing and trying out their personally designed noise makers.  

It was a fun week and went pretty smoothly - but I'm tired from all the driving I told you about yesterday and I feet are really hurting.  I think I need to invest in a new pair of shoes... before school starts that is.  :-)

I was up early and met a friend for breakfast.  Sherri and her family are leaving for a two week vacation this evening and I was thrilled to spend a little time with her this morning.  

What else is new... I took the kids to the COR UMW Rummage Sale this morning.  Annie finally found an electric typewriter that she has been in search of for her friend's birthday. Annie got a fish bowl and a cassette Walkman - retro is "in!"  Jake found a waffle iron.  Can you believe we didn't have one?  He has already requested waffles for breakfast tomorrow. He found a couple other treasures.  And I found this for my Mom...  
It's a Rolling Garden Work Seat.
The seat swivels 360 degrees.
And it has a little tray underneath for tools.

The seat looks like it came off a tractor.  We all thought it was very cool.  Mom, we hope you like it, too!  I think it will be great when you wants to pull weeds in your garden.  We will bring it over soon.

It's early but I'm off to bed.  Did I mention I was tired?

xo 

No comments:

Post a Comment