Saturday, July 27, 2013

Busy, busy, busy...

It's been 7 days.  Well, it was 7 days when I started this anyway.  A very busy 7 days I might add.   Seems like the story of my summer - busy, busy, busy.  :-)  Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining.  I love it!  This has been a week packed full of fun.  

Saturday morning we picked Annie up from a sleepover and headed to the lake to see Al and Paula, Jack's folks
.  
I love taking pictures of the sky.
Looks stormy ahead.
Unfortunately, I tried to take a panoramic view on a bumpy road.

We stopped in Sedalia for lunch.   

Jack wanted us all to have Goober burgers
- they have peanut butter on them. 
Jake liked it.  
Annie didn't try it.  
I didn't like it, the texture was weird.  

 Jake and Annie both really like grilled pb&j.

And they both liked playing video games. 
Jake multi-tasking...

Annie's a pinball wizard.
Well, not exactly but she had fun.

Our day was spent visiting with Al and Paula, watching the British Open and we went out to dinner.

Saturday night I was tired but D.J. and Melissa were in a Topeka hospital waiting for Sophie's arrival. Her labor processed through the night and I received periodic updates.  I didn't sleep very much. I got a text at 3:07 a.m. saying they there taking her in for a c-section.  I was awake.  I waited.  I heard nothing.  I sent Marlene a text at 4:05 ??? Nothing.I knew they were busy. So, I waited some more.  At 4:57 a.m. I received this picture...
Happy Birthday to Sophia Jo Anne
8 lbs 14 oz.  21.25" long

Snug as a bug.
Eyes shining bright.
What a beautiful baby!

My excitement gave way to much needed sleep until 8:30.  We had made plans to go visit our friend, Billy, who's folks have a place on the lake.  It had been years since we'd gotten the kids out on the water.  It was a little chilly, cloudy and sprinkled on and off - but that meant there were only a few boats on the lake.  

When did they get so big?

Jake's first - fifth attempts.
:-(
Bummer, maybe next time.

Annie tried... 
but got whacked in the face with a ski.
She got a little cut under her eye. 
She'll try next time.


Jack got up on his second attempt.
He was exhausted.

I got in on the fun, too!

Tubing fun.
Woo Hoo!

Wipe Out!
All I see are legs.

Annie wants to go faster!

Post wipe out smile.
  
Time to swim!

And playing in the spray.

Every time I turned around Jake was diving in...
:-)

After tubing and swimming we had lunch and the boys enjoyed an ATV ride over the hills and through the woods.  Annie and I sat on the deck and enjoyed the sunshine, breeze and lake sounds.  I'd forgotten how much I enjoy just relaxing on the deck, watching the water and birds.  We had a great time.  I was exhausted.

Monday, the men got up early to play a round of golf.   I just happened to look out the window just as they were finishing a hole across the way, so Paula and I walked out to watch them tee off.   
Jack and Al

Off the tee...

While they were golfing we decided to check out some thrift shops.  Annie had recently purchased a cassette player and found a bunch of cassettes.  She was thrilled.
Checking out the dvds.

Jake wanted to take these home.
Umm, no.
But he did find an old, old Polaroid camera.

Paula took us out to lunch then it was back home.  We relaxed a bit then it was time to start packing up and heading home.  What a fun weekend!

Tuesday morning I got up early and colored my hair... I didn't want to meet Sophie with my roots showing.  Ha ha!  (I have to say... it was a bad idea.  It took longer than expected.)  As soon as I was finished we hit the road.  I encountered a backup on the highway, so I took the first exit and took a different route.  D.J. called to tell me they were being released (a day early) but he said they'd hang out for a bit.  Now the pressure was on.  I was using my GPS - not because I didn't know where I was going but I wanted to keep track of my ETA.  As I came over the bridge to get on I-70 I noticed the GPS was telling me to go straight... I thought that was odd but continued onto the highway.  
UGH!
One lane open on I-70!

Yep, as soon as I got over the hill on I-70.  I was stuck.  Three lanes down to one.  I was supposed to stop by and see my Mom at the church - she quilts on Tuesday mornings.  I tried to call her unsuccessfully, so I called the church office and left a message.  I practiced a few deep breathing techniques.  I exercised patience...   

Hello baby girl!
Ohhh!  She is so adorable!

I shared with Jake...

And Annie.

Sophie has bright sparkling eyes, long fingers and long toes.  
She is beautiful and perfect!

We made a quick stop at my Mom's.  Then hit road again.  I had to work.  :-)

That night I met friends for dinner.  An old neighbor was in town visiting her parents and sadly it's the only time several of us get together.  (We are trying to plan a ladies weekend in Des Moines.  Fingers crossed our schedules work out and we make it happen.)

Wednesday... I can't remember what I did.  Jake worked.  ?  That's all I remember.

Thursday, Annie and I took Layla to Deanna Rose Farmstead.  


Layla loved feeding the goats.

Annie, not so much.

She had so much fun on the playground and digging in the sand.

And taking her first pony ride.

As much fun as we had, we missed the boys.
Last time Jake and Gavin (Layla's brother) joined us.
Gavin stayed in Tanzania with Mom.

Right before their family moved, I took all the kids.
It will be fun to take them all again in a few years.

After lunch Layla enjoyed some Jake time.

Jake and Annie spent the evening with the youth.  It was a goodbye party for Steve and Layla.  They had a great time but as we all know goodbyes are tough.  

Tears and questions about why we can't come to Tanzania.
:-(
That was a tough one to explain.

This brings us to yesterday... Friday.  The first day in a long, long time that we had no plans.  None.  I downloaded pictures and spent a while writing this.  I didn't get all the pictures uploaded to the site, which was one of the reasons it didn't get posted.  I went grocery shopping.  Jake spent most of the afternoon and evening with friends - skateboarding.  Hunter spent the night and they were up at 6:00 a.m.  I took them back to the park before 7:00.  I think he would have spent all day there except for Jake's band uniform fitting.  Oh how I'd love to sneak over and take some pictures.  But that's not gonna happen.

I have been looking for a small secretary or flip out desk for a while.  I found one on Craigslist this morning and called.  I had to leave a message.  By 9:30 I decided it must already be gone and wrote it off.  :-(  I got a call at 10, saying it was and got directions to go look at it.  The phone call woke Jack... he hadn't slept well last night so was enjoying the elusive sleep-in Saturday.  He got up and around and we went together.  It's got a lot of character.  I love it.  It's not in perfect condition but it's for me.  (I post a picture of it later.)  We stopped at a couple garage sales on the way home.  

This one had lots of tools.
The "homemade lemonade stand" 
with Minute Maid lemonade sitting on it
made me giggle.

A friend asked if I could make a couple tutu's.  I have been procrastinating (I work best under pressure) and just started them yesterday.  I plan to deliver them tomorrow.  

Making headway.
I'm a tutu maker.
:-)

Jake's uniform fitting was at 1:30.  We got there early, because in band speak early is on time.  The jacket fit.  The pants, not so much.  Jake holds the record for the day number of pants rejected - 8!  The first seven were too small, too too small, Jake has grown since the spring which caused us to start off on the wrong foot.  Some of the others had been taken in, a lot - inches.  It was kind of funny.  Jake was losing his patience.  For some reason that made it funnier to me.  
Final in pants that fit!

The hat was too big
but easily adjustable.

Losing patience with me again.
I took more than one picture.
Tee hee!

Ok, I think you're brought up to speed on life around here.  

xo

No comments:

Post a Comment