Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Smiles and tears

Last night was Annie's final choir concert.  I say final because (at this point) she doesn't plan on taking any music classes in high school.  Marlene brought my folks over again.  I am so glad they could come and enjoy the evening with us.  I had been weary of them traveling with the wicked weather and had been keeping my eye on the radar and told them all that if the weather was suspect I wanted them to stay home.  I had said that before the tornado hit Moore, Oklahoma.  

As the 8th graders entered and took their seats our group cheered as Annie walked by.  Then, every time she went past we did something, deaf clapping (silent with hand waving), hands together with pointer fingers clapping, the wave.  On the back of the program was a list of concert etiquette. We didn't break all the rules... but a few.  ;-)  Annie was a little embarrassed.  The girl that was right in front of her LOVED our antics.   The concert was enjoyable.  It's interesting to see the difference between the 6th graders and 8th graders.  Even with 106 6th graders, the 40+ 8th graders were louder and more confident singers.  There a few technical difficulties but it just made it more (or less) memorable.     

OH MY Goodness!  I just realized I did a totally dumb thing... I took LOTs of pictures last night.  But I didn't have the memory card in the camera and none were saved.  :-(  I feel ridiculous!
Here is the one picture I had taken on my phone.
Annie is in the front row on the right.

Here are a few pictures from youth group on Sunday...
 
Annie and Samurai Jack

then Samurai on the move!
He scampered right up her onto the couch.

Building a log cabin just like on the outside of the Lincoln Log container
- without directions.
Great team work Melanie and Jake!
Annie had a tough time being a team player.  
"I can do it all by myself!"
Better luck next time, Anne.

I felt like I've been in a bit of a fog since the news broke.  The tornado that hit Moore, Oklahoma and OKC is hard to comprehend.  Today, I've shed many tears.  Reports are now stating it was an EF-5!  Wow.  I am holding on to stories like this:  God answered two prayers!

Here's another video I found today - unrelated to the storm:  A touching goodbye


Please say a prayer for Jake.  He is giving a speech tomorrow in one of his classes.  He practiced in front of  me.  I gave several suggestions.  He got all teenagery and angry.  I had him practice it again and I video taped him, then we discuss a couple parts that confused me and he made a couple changes to the presentation.  We talked about the books he was comparing.   I had him give his presentation again and recorded it again.  He did a lot better.   After that I had him watch the two videos.  His confidence is still a bit shaky but he could see the difference in the two.  :-)  

Appreciate each day.  Tell people you love them and give hugs freely.  Make others happy!  

xo

No comments:

Post a Comment