Sunday, May 26, 2013

A Day to Remember...

Today, I picked up my folks and took them down to Marion, my Dad's hometown.  We enjoyed the ride, visiting and listening to music.  I think they both enjoyed satellite radio - specifically Pops and Bluegrass.  I caught Dad directing the band a few times.  :-)  He loves a good banjo tune!  We stopped in Emporia for brunch.  Dad and I both had pecan waffles.  YUM!  I think Mom must have eaten too much because she fell asleep as soon as we got back in the car.  Dad doesn't think she sleeps very well, so he was glad to see her resting.

We dropped Mom off at her brother Dave's place to do some mending and visiting.  Then Dad and I headed over to his sister Marilyn's house.  Aunt Ginny was already there, ready and waiting.  The siblings go around to area cemetery's and decorate graves of their loved one.  I remember doing this when I was younger but it's been years.  I am so glad I joined them!  Aunt Ginny didn't want my car on the gravel roads, so I drove her car.  It was already loaded with flowers.  I wasn't exactly sure where we were going but the girls gave me turn by turn instructions.  We started out at Youngtown, where my grandparents, Uncle John (Dad's brother) and other relatives are buried.  Then into town to the Marion Cemetery, where Uncle Bob (Marilyn's husband) and several extended family members rest.  
Dad with two of his sisters
Aunt Marilyn (left) and Aunt Virginia (right)

At Youngtown Cemetery
Dad and Aunt Marilyn reminisce.

My grandparents headstone - Walter and Dorothy Hayen
and Dad's brother, John, to the right.



Uncle Bob's (and Aunt Marilyn) headstone.
He loved the mountains.
He had a great smile!

It was very unique.

More stories to share.
:-)
I'm so glad I got to be a part of this!

Back to get Mom and a short visit, then on the road again.  Dad said, "I may go to sleep but be sure to stop at Braum's in Emporia.  I'm gonna need a little treat."  He never went to sleep.  I don't know if it was due to the anticipated ice cream cone or music, but he didn't miss it.  We all got cherry pecan cones.  Yum!  I asked if they wanted to stay and enjoy their treat and Dad asked, "what?  Are we not allowed to eat in your car?"  I had to laugh.  So, back in the car we went.
Mom and her brother, Dave
Take 2 - take 1 was even worse!
(I told her I was going to put it on the World Wide Web!)

Much better!
:-)
   
I stretched my legs and made a pit stop at their house.  Mom and I walked out on the deck and talked about the different kinds of plants she has in the backyard.  She inquired about what kinds I had planted yesterday and I had to laugh and admit I didn't have a clue.  I asked her about a couple different plants and she kept saying "oh, I can get you a start of that!"  My Mom has a green thumb.  I really need to educate myself and find mine!

I am thankful that I got to spend the day with my family.  It was a very special day remembering our loved ones. 

xo

1 comment:

  1. What a great day! Looks like fun was had by all. Thanks for sharing the pics and memories. xoxoxoxox Love you, Leenie

    ReplyDelete