Sunday, May 12, 2013

errands -- cookies -- gratitude (Mom's Day weekend)

Is it just me, or is it a Mom thing?  Have you ever had a weekend when you were very busy but when someone asks you, you can't remember exactly what you did?  I've had that kind of weekend.  It seemed like I was consistently busy starting Friday afternoon but I can't tell you what I've done or what I've accomplished.  Ha ha!  I hate those kind of weekends.   

Looking back at my calendar it makes a bit more sense now.  :-)

Friday afternoon I was busy chatting with a friend when I realized it was time to get Annie.  From that point until dark it was a blur of errands and driving.  I had to be back to the high school at 5:00.  Saturday is a fundraising event called Drive and Ride and we were picking up the vehicles.  It worked out so much better to get the vehicles Friday night, as opposed to 6:30 a.m. Saturday morning.  Instead of Ford, this time we went going through a Buick, GMC, Cadillac dealer.  Basically, you tell everyone you know to stop by and take a test drive and the band gets $20 for each one.  Seriously, the easiest fundraiser ever - as long as you get people to show up.
A nice touch!

We actually had 12 cars to choose from...

Saturday morning was lazy.  Jack and I made out way out to the high school and took our lap.  He drove a GMC truck.  I drove a Cadillac SRX crossover.  All I can say is, too fancy for me!  My ride partner was a band Dad I hadn't met.  We got off to a great start because neither one of us knew how to start it.  We called the sales rep over and he asked one simple question, "is your foot on the brake, when you press the button?"  Oh.  Whoops!  Tee hee!  Obviously, Band Dad doesn't have a fancy car either.  His son's name is Ethan.  There are like 12 Ethan's in the band, so I was clueless.  Both boys are freshman so we had a good chat about what's working and not working in the life of teenage boy parenting.  

When we got home I called Jake, who was out and about with the neighbors, to see when he was going to make the rest of his cookies for the church youth fundraiser.  "Oh!  Um... I'll be home soon," was all he said.  Luckily, it's quick work making chocolate dipped Oreos and Jack helped by adding the sprinkles.  

We arrived at church to find ourselves locked out.  Annie walked around the church checking every door.  Nope.  We only had to wait a few minutes.  We had 13 youth/adults signed up to make 6 dozen  cookies each.  The plan was to be at church at 1:00, assemble the plates and wrap them up nice and pretty.  Elizabeth had burned her last batch of cookies, and in her rush to get out the door dropped cookie sheet number 2, so she had had to stop and buy cookies because she only like one cookie sheet survive.  They looked so good too, sugar cookies with jelly in the middle!  Poor thing.  We had 12 people show up to help with assembly and we all went to work.  The main challenge was getting 4 guys to put 18 cookies on the plate.  Not 14, 15 or 16 but 18.  Annie's OCD shown through as she looked at the plates assembled by boys.  You could say they looked a little willy nilly.  Big cookies on top of little cookies.  She spent quite a bit of time rearranging.  Jack did a count and realized we had a whole lot of cookies and no more plates... ?  We were six plates short to be exact.  After a bit of detective work it was discovered that six nicely wrapped packages had two plates.  Of course, the girls blamed the boys  Ha ha!  I really felt like I needed to add a disclaimer to the plates.  :-)  


We went out to dinner and enjoyed the rest of the evening together watching the movie, Life of Pi.  It was not what I expected, but enjoyable.  

Today, we got to church early.  We passed out cookies and attended Sunday School.  Our class only had a few attending, due to Mother's Day, so we shared joys, concerns and fellowship.  We passed out more cookies and went to Nuts and Bolts to get bedding plants for my planters and clematis, since the drought last year did mine in.  

I had visions of getting a big list of to-do's completed today but that didn't happen.  I DID get a great nap and even snored, according to Jack.  And Jack did get a big job accomplished and booked our Spring Break 2015 plans made.  :-)  More about that later...

Yes, I already have a countdown clock started!

Today, I'm celebrating all women, not just Mom's.  I think about all of the women in my life... they have encourage, supported, loved me through good times and bad.  I am so blessed to have so many amazing women to walk through life with.  I would not be the person I am without all of you!  Thank you from the bottom of my heart.  

xo


No comments:

Post a Comment