Thursday, March 28, 2013

Ships log - Day 5

FALMOUTH, JAMAICA

Another gorgeous day!!!

The ship docked, so getting on and the off wouldn't be an issue.  Jack and Brian decided they just wanted to go for a walk.  Justin had NO interest in leaving the ship, so he went to Adventure Ocean.  That left Lisa and I with 3 kids.  Ok, we can do this!
As soon as Jake handed the flag back, the guy on the right
said, "for your trouble" with his hand out.
Jake had no idea, smiled and walked away.
The guy then looked at me and spoke a bit clearer.
Blank stare...
"Ma'am!" he said sharply, then repeated himself.
"Oh, ok, sorry!" I said, handing him a dollar.

Unfortunately, that's pretty much how the days adventure went.  Royal Caribbean built the pier at Falmouth, so we were the only ship there.  I had decided before we left the ship where I wanted to go... over there by the blue tents.  I thought it looked like a market area.  

We got off the ship and there were a few stores in the courtyard area.  There was a flea market area under a roof.  As well as a few more vendors with their items laying on the ground outside of several other businesses.  Except for the man on stilts the people were soft spoken and very kind in this area.  Just beyond the last building was a large black fence, with a gate and guard.  I thought we needed to go out.  However, I was not prepared for what happened next.  As soon as we crossed the street everyone wanted to know our names and take us to their "shop" to show us their "good stuff!"  We met Sally and Stacy and Cheap Charlie and a couple soft spoken women.  EVERY single woman wanted to braid Annie's hair.  And, "no thank you" was not an acceptable answer.  I told everyone they would get their turn and let one lead us.  They were not patient.  I would not say they were kind.  Pushy, yes.  Almost mean, at time.  Everyone was desperate for us to buy what they were selling.  At one point an American woman with two teenage girls asked if she could walk with us.  I agreed but she got whisked off before she could resist.  Later, I saw them briefly going in the opposite direction.  They all looked frazzled.  I tried to keep our little group of 5 together.  More than once I'd say a name and would hear someone say, "Oh, she's over there." or "No worries, he's right here."  We were guilted into a couple minimal purchases.  Jake, who has a collection of unique instruments, found a cool "thing" made from bamboo.  It's a steel drum/violin thing.  Jake bargained a bit.  We walked away once, then came back later and got it.  Annie bought a cat carved out of wood.  I bought a bracelet.  Lisa and Nick also bought a few things.  We didn't make it too long though.  It was overwhelming!  Annie was walking around with her head down avoiding eye contact with everyone.  As we walked back Nick turned his pockets wrong side out to prove his had no money left.  I would have loved to taken pictures but I thought better of it.  Back inside the fence we all breathed a little easier but had we check I'm sure all our blood pressures would have been elevated.  I'm guessing our adventure lasted only about 30 minutes but it seemed much MUCH longer.

Jack and Brian also had an adventure on their walk about... they first discovered the route Jack wanted to take was not allowed.  The gate they wanted to exit was only for vehicles.  So, they ventured out into the wild through the same gate we went through.  As soon as they got across the street many people approached them.  One guy in particular would not let them be.  Jack made it clear they were just going for a walk.  The guy persisted and followed them for several blocks, "It's Jamaica, we go nice and slow."  He told them all about a church - but Jack said they never saw it.  Jack also said, "everyone wanted to sell us marijuana or find us a woman."  Ha!  When the guy finally got the hint he said, "a little something for my trouble."  Jack's response?  "I'm sorry, but I told you we were just out for a walk!"  Jack said, he thinks the guy was literally stalking them and giving him money would only encourage bad behavior.  (I sure wish I would have looked at it that way!)  The guys returned feeling much like us - anxious.  So much for a relaxing walk about.
Jake took this picture.
The foliage was beautiful!

I can't remember if we took naps that afternoon but I'm willing to bet we did.  If I was going back to Jamaica I would not venture outside the fences.  (I was talking to Melissa about it the other day - she and DJ spent their honeymoon in Jamaica.  "if you're going to Jamaica, go to an all-inclusive resort and never ever venture outside of it!"  For whatever reason her comment made me laugh.)  It was an adventure and I don't think any of us will soon forget.


Poor Jake took a picture of his burned feet.

Lisa and I had our second dance lesson.  It's coming along nicely, although the group was less than half of our first.  I guess it's normal for each class to be about half the previous.  I didn't have it down perfectly yet it's coming along.  I'm so excited!!

Another casual night at dinner.

Three hungry men.

And finally a nearly sunset picture.

The craziness of the day and late nights caught up with me.  I was asleep by 8:30 p.m.  Jack went to the Love and Marriage Game Show, alone.  The kids returned just before midnight and I woke up.  Everyone was sleeping in no time.  Well, everyone except me.  It was 3:00 a.m. before I got back to sleep.  Ugh!  That's one thing I would have happily left at home.

No comments:

Post a Comment