Friday, February 20, 2015

Sar Bear all grown up!


Yesterday was Sarah's birthday.  She turned 36 years old.  She is now a grown up.  Ha ha. That's what she informed me when we chatted.  It's always good to hear her voice.  Matt got her a vanity table.  She has sat on he floor in front of her full length mirror and applied her makeup for most for her life.  She has stood in front of the bathroom mirror from time to time, but not anymore.  Now, she has a place to sit... like a grown up.  (I have to admit, I kind of want a vanity now.  I stand in front of the mirror...)  


Many years ago I got her a Care Bear for her birthday.  I don't remember which bear... but whichever it was the name stuck and she's been my Bear or Sar Bear.  Even in my phone her name is simply, Bear.  If I leave her a voice mail message I don't call her Sarah.  It's always "Hi Bear, it's me."      (I have no idea why this paragraph is larger... it's not intentional.)

It's kind of crazy to think of Sarah as a grown up.  She will always be 20 something to me. I'm not sure why, maybe because that's when we became close friends.  Our relationship isn't simply aunt and niece.  It's so much more than that.  We can go weeks without speaking and pick up right where we left off.  When we are together we can be chatty or sit in comfortable silence. We can talk honestly.  No judgment.  No topic off limits.  

Going back through pictures several weeks ago it was so fun to see all the trips I have taken to Colorado to see her.  She moved out West when Annie was a little baby - maybe 5 months old. Once, twice, sometimes three times each year I have made the journey.  Annie is 15 years old.  That's 30+ trips!  Wow!  I am so lucky, fortunately, thankful, add whatever adjective you'd like... I AM!  WE are!  Jake and Annie have grown up making that trek to Breckenridge, Golden, Centennial, and Castle Rock.  (I never made it to her apartment in Highlands Ranch.)  The drive doesn't seem quite so long with familiar landmarks.  Every rest stop has a memory.  I remember potty training stops along the highway.  The first time the kids decided they wanted to "KEEP DRIVING" instead of taking a break and running around in a play-place jungle gym when given the option.  Wow.       

My birthday wishes for Sarah haven't changed much over the years, I wish the moon for her. Whatever her heart desires.  She continues to be one of my favorite people on the planet.  I can't think of her without smiling.  And I can't hear a song on the Dixie Chicks, Wide Open Spaces CD without singing along at the top of my lungs.  That is OUR music.  Goodness I love that girl so much!  All grown up.  I am so incredibly proud of that girl woman!

XO       

No comments:

Post a Comment