Thursday, November 7, 2013

It's Fall and the band plays on! Yay!

This tree spoke to me on my way home.  I even turned around and went back to take this picture.
The sun was already starting to go down.
Hello Fall!

Tonight, Blue Valley West played football in the State Playoffs against Topeka Seaman.  The band was asked to play but it was optional.  Of course, Jake was there.  Jack and I went too, and we stayed until the beginning of the 4th quarter.  The score was 42-0 West.  I'm not sure of the final score, Jake couldn't remember when he got home but I think they scored one touchdown and missed the extra point making it 42-6.  West will play again next week against Bishop Miege, they beat us last year.

I have to say, I was going through band withdrawal.  I went down the stood behind the band for a while.  He loves it.  They play.  They dance.  They have a great time.  I loved watching him.    
Jake and his tuba.
I wonder if he named it... ?
I will have to ask.


the band playing and dancing
the students singing
Jake is on the far right
(sorry, I messed up the end)


more dancing
I was trying to get the score
42-0 West

Just in case you're interested, here is My Aunt Margaret's obituary.  

You may have already seen this since it's gone viral, but I'm going to share it anyway.  I just love to see and read about random acts of kindness!  Kindness speaks volumes

I made a quick stop at a store today.  Only one checkout lane was open and the woman at the front of the line had a cart load of stuff.  The couple behind her had a few items.  I had two.  And the man behind me had several.  A second check out lane was opened and the guy behind me jumped in front and checked out first.  I asked the couple to go ahead of me. They were older, maybe around the same age as my parents.  They both smiled sweetly and thanked me.  I admit, it took them a bit longer to check out than I had expected.  They got a couple puzzles, some cards, and a box of chocolates.  The gentleman joked that he wasn't going to get any of the chocolates.  She smiled and shrugged and admitted, "they're my favorite!"  Yes, I was in a hurry but... I got checked out quickly enough we were able to walk out together.  We quietly stood on the sidewalk waiting for cars to pass and smiled at the sunshine together.  I told them to enjoy their afternoon.  They said, "it's a nice afternoon for a drive.  Don't you think?"  I nodded, then the woman came over and hugged me.  She said, "it might not seem like a big deal to you, but thank you for asking us to go ahead of you.  It's the little things that mean so much." I hugged her back.  I agree with my whole heart.  It didn't seem like a big deal to me.  It was right and fair - they were next.  It isn't hard to show someone kindness but it sure feels like a big deal when it happens.

xo

No comments:

Post a Comment