Friday, February 7, 2014

The weekend is here - already!

This morning I dragged myself out of bed.  I spent a good chunk of time before 1 a.m. coughing.  I may have coughed after that but I don't remember and I didn't look at the clock.  So, this mornings struggle was just that, a struggle.  It didn't even occur to me that I could or should stay home.  I was needed at Therapy Group - so off I went.  We fully expected the kids to be wound up - bouncing off the wall from three snow days but our motley crew was very subdued.  I have to admit it was a blessing for me because I don't know if I could have kept up with them today otherwise.  I came home, ate a bit and took a well deserved nap.

Jake had band early and his car has been acting funny so the kids road to school with a friend.  I am so very grateful to friends in times like these!!  The kids both had a good day. After school Annie announced, "the weekend is here and I don't know what to do."  She usually has things lined up but after enjoying snow days... she's perplexed!  Don't worry, that didn't last long.  "Oh, I have set crew at 10 a.m." and I realized she has a haircut at 3:30 p.m. and then she's babysitting tomorrow night.  

Jake was getting anxious about when (and if) he'd be getting paid, so Jack had him call and ask "the man".  I listened, quietly offered advice and then Jake stood up and walked in the other room.  His voice was quiet but direct.  From what I could hear, it sounded like "the man" didn't have any intention of paying but Jake corrected him that he DID work more than just the "working interview".  It was ended with "the man" telling Jake he'll just have to wait and see.  Yes, I AM annoyed.  Jack asked for details and was anything but understanding.  We will wait two weeks... and if no check has been received Jack will take it up with the owners (Jack knows them and doesn't think they have any idea of what is really going on in their store).  I think we all feel better having a plan.  :-)  I know I am.

Jack FINALLY got the carpet order yesterday.  They didn't make it easy on us, but it's done. YAY!  Now we wait!  And if I get motivated, I can start packing some of the books, pictures, etc., in the living room since we will have to empty it.  I'm looking at it as another opportunity to purge.  ;-)

This morning Jack stopped by a garage to see if he could get Jake's car worked on.  He had diagnosed it as needing an alternator and had planned on changing the O2 sensor - since the car's check engine light has been on since we bought it.  The garage is located at 148th and Metcalf.  Jack had driven his truck and I was already at Group, so he decided to walk home and get Jake's car.  YES, Jack WALKED 2+ miles home in the 8 degree weather to get Jake's car!  ?  No, he was not prepared at all.  He wasn't even wearing boots!  The guy asked if he had any gloves - to which Jack responded, "no" and the guy graciously offered his own. When Jack told me about his journey I was dumbfounded!  I didn't give him too much ridicule though because he'd gotten enough of that at work, from the sound of it.  MANY co-workers said they would have given him a ride.  (all I can do is roll my eyes and hope this is a lesson learned!)  As it turned out Jake's car didn't need an alternator but a idler pulley and the job was less expensive than expected.  Now the car just needs one other part - a knock sensor - and it will be good as new!  

I'm still feeling pretty crummy.  I'm so glad no one else in the family has come down with the sniffles.  Jack and I are looking forward to watching the opening ceremonies of the Olympics tonight.  

Please keep my friend Annemarie, from Maryland, in your prayers.  Her mother passed away this morning from a massive heart attack.  Until recently, when her mother became ill and went from the hospital to the rehab center, Annemarie had been her caregiver for the last 15 years.  As we spoke this afternoon she admitted this was a mixed blessing, as her Mom's quality of life wasn't what her Mom wanted.  She had dementia and required a lot of attention.  It will be a tough adjustment I am certain.  Today is also Annemarie's son, Michael's, 14th birthday.           

Grace and Peace,

xo  J.

No comments:

Post a Comment