Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Nuggets

This started off as an email to one of Jake's teachers.  I asked Jack to read it and he didn't feel it was necessary - the teacher is young, he doesn't know.  I didn't send it.  BUT I did share it with a friend.  In my attempt to purge my feelings on the page I just needed someone else to read it.  I've sat with it for a day and I still have a nagging feeling that it needs to be shared.  SO, what better forum than this, right?

---
As a parent and a person that works with children, it is my responsibility to be a person that is accepting, full of love, and supportive.  Is it hard to make a connection with every student?  Absolutely, but I make it my mission.  I realize that you might think that my working with preschoolers is very different from working with teenagers but I am constantly amazed at the similarities.  Each student - no matter their age - needs validation, acceptance and support.  Yes, I realize you have 70 kids in band, but successes need to be acknowledged.

I am deeply disappointed that you didn't take the time to recognize Jake in front of his peers for his accomplishment this last weekend at the UMKC Honor Band Festival.  There were only 9 BVW students there and Jake was the only Concert Band student.  And to get 2nd chair in the highest band... that's a big deal!

I have never asked for anything from you, but I support you.  And you, in your quiet way, have made it clear that Jake isn't one of your favorite students.  I'm not asking for anything that isn't fair.  And I don't expect you to say anything on Thursday.  Your opportunity was missed.  What I would ask, is to take my advice and not miss moments in the future.  
---

I strive to impact every child I come in contact with.  I am kind.  I smile.  I make each child feel important when they are with me.  I am rewarded on a regular basis with hugs.  Please don't misunderstand, I'm not trying to toot my own horn, it's just something I do that helps make a positive impact on our classroom.  

I was once asked who my favorites are... I laughed.  Well, to be honest, I laughed, said, "I hate them all" and laughed again.  My co-workers looked at me with wide eyes.  They were shocked.  Of course I was kidding, but the truth is, love 'em or hate 'em, I treat each child the same.  And the shock turned to contentment.  Since then, one of the 20 somethings I am lucky enough to work with has shared that she appreciates that I am not afraid to share my nuggets with her.  I love that she called my wisdom nuggets.

On a similar note, I was chatting with a friend.  I've been in a funk - part teenager induced - part the fact that I've been fighting a virus for 15 days now.  (I went to the doctor today and she put me on a Z-pack with a refill if it doesn't nip it in the bud.) Kristi, I hope you don't mind that I'm sharing part of our conversation, but it's too good not to include.   She started out telling me "they will grow into wonderful caring adults"  to which I gave a big sigh of relief.  But then shared "teenagers make you question everything you thought you taught them" and our conversation was all over the map - ending in laughter at both ends.  I love that she shared her nuggets with me.  And I have since thought several times "their brains are still forming to make decisions."   A golden nugget, she shared.

Life is too short.  Don't hoard your nuggets.  When you see an opportunity, share!  


xo

1 comment:

  1. I don't have any advice on sending the letter. I can see it both ways. I will say thank you for sharing your nuggets with me!! XO

    ReplyDelete