Sunday, December 15, 2013

I'm gonna let my little light shine.

Wow!  Two days in a row.  Crazy, huh?  ;-)

Life is full of choices.  Like I said yesterday, I choose the light.  If there is but one thing I am remembered for, I want it to be a positive one.  I want people to remember me and smile.  I want to be remembered as a light source.  


Merry Christmas!    

Today, we had a chili luncheon at church.  The Seekers Sunday School class as been in charge for years.  I don't know how many year but it's been a really long time.  This year they announced several weeks before the date that it was too much.  They couldn't do it any longer.  Now, I think it's important for you to know that most of the people in this class are probably in their 80's.  I don't know what was the final straw but when it was brought to our class, I looked over the information provided and after some thought I decided I would take it over.  It didn't really need to be one person, it could have been our class, but it seemed pretty straight forward.  Many of the Seekers had already signed up to make chili or help with this or that.  Table decorations were taken care of.  To go orders than two people ready and waiting with experience.  

The first glitch was I had only two weeks to prepare.  I made my first executive decision that the date would be changed - to which some grumbled.  The date was selected because it was the Chiefs bye week.  I didn't think it would be too hard to pick a new date.  I had to check the Chiefs schedule.  Then check the church schedule to make sure the room was available.  It was just logistics really, but it was a little more times consuming that I expected.  Next, I was approached by the church pot stirrer (trouble maker) that decided with new "management" we needed to change the chili recipe.  It didn't help that Jack agreed and poked a stick of encouragement to that idea.  I dug my feet in and stifled any thought of changing the recipe.  Everyone makes the exact same recipe and all are mixed together ensuring consistency.  It's a very Methodist recipe.  Actually, I like it.  If you want it spicy we provide hot sauce, jalapenos and onions, as well as cheese, Fritos, saltines, and various other condiments so you can make it to your liking. And for dessert, pie.    

I made announcements to all the Adult Sunday School classes, sold tickets and found people to make announcements in worship - I don't do that.  I arranged with the church secretary how/when the tables would be set up.  I made reminder calls this week.  Again, just logistics.  I really am good at that stuff.  

My second executive decision was regarding dessert.  I decided any dessert was welcome.  A friend made delicious cranberry bars.  I made hot chocolate cupcakes with marshmallow frosting.  (Annie LOVED them!  I think she had 2 1/2!)  One lady was surprised walking into the kitchen and commented "oh, any dessert?  Well, that's fun?!"  And gave me a funny look.  I sensed a bit of sarcasm but smiled, took her pie and said thank you.   She later commented that the bars were delicious!    

My final executive decision was the most well received.  As we emptied pots, pans, pie plates we washed them up and placed them on a table outside the kitchen and around the corner.  I didn't see any reason to have more people in the kitchen.  It just made sense and you would have thought I reinvented the wheel.  (wink!)  I just smiled.    

I was thanked by many and heard several people say, "why didn't we get rid of this years ago?  She makes it look easy!"  I simply said, "I couldn't have done it without your help."  And I passed out many thanks myself.  

We had more than enough people when the time came.  I passed out jobs and hoped I didn't come across bossy.  There were many hands that stayed around to help clean up.  I love it when I hear my Mom's voice saying "many hands make quick work" echoing in my head.  

Back in October I had a choice.  I could have said nothing.  We had been gone the week before when our class was approached asking for our help.  I could have let someone else step up - or not - but this luncheon is important to the Seekers.  Why not me?  I did it.  It was but a small sacrifice.  I made a difference.  I will not let the darkness win.  

---

When I got home I saw this... The Last Mile.  It's funny how many things go through your mind in situations like this.  I cried at the end.

Light wins again!

---

So, one of the things I signed up to bring to lunch was chopped onions.  I thought it said 5 lbs. of chopped onions.  So, that is what Jack did last night.  He chopped onions.  Five pounds worth.  That's a LOT of onions.  And it makes the house smelly.  There was one other lady that brought chopped onions.  Two pounds of chopped onions.  She said her house and refrigerator smelled, too.  Well, we didn't even open my large container of chopped onions.  So I brought it home.  Now the question is... what do I do with FIVE POUNDS of CHOPPED ONIONS?  My eyes are watering at the thought.  I made 1/2 cup onion popsicles.  No, I'm not going to force the kids to eat them.  I frequently use onion while cooking and I think I saw it on Pinterest once.  Either that or I made it up - who cares, it makes sense, right?
Squish onions into a muffin tin.
Freeze.
Pry them out with a spoon.
Place 6-12 in a freezer bag.
Perfect serving size for quick use!

The kids had youth group tonight.  The Christmas party was postponed until January 5th and they had a pizza, movie, study session (for those that needed or wanted to study).  Annie said she got overwhelmed with the noise, so she went into another room and knocked out a paper and started studying for finals.  I am shocked and amazed that she's related to me.  And very proud.

Tomorrow is Jack's first day.  I think he'll feel a lot better about the new job as soon as he gets Ginger trained in his old job.  Just in case you didn't hear, he's kind of a big deal.  ;-)

Two links - one to pray on and one to lift your soul;

Pray for Claire 

This little light of mine  (I apologize if there's a commercial before the song.)  I hadn't heard this version.  I love it!

Shows you what the power of love can do...


In every dark corner that I find, gonna let my little light shine!


xo

No comments:

Post a Comment