Monday, October 14, 2013

Time to catch up

Ok, I have to go back a few weeks, so bare with me.  I was trying to figure out how to do this quick and concise, I will do my best.

*  Jake got his Restricted Driver's License and Annie got her Learner's Permit.  It's been a busy few weeks and unfortunately Jake isn't driving to school, YET.  He needs a bit more practice navigating the clutch before we let him lose.

I was going to post a picture of them holding their papers
but the cards arrived in the mail today.  Yeah!

*  The band went to their first competition - Webbstock, in Webb City, MO.  Due to storms the competition was moved into the gymnasium.  It was small and HOT.  But, thankfully, we waited patiently and were able to squeeze in and watch the two bands ahead of BVW performed.  They were incredible and produced an amazing sound.  We drove down with friends and didn't stick around for awards.  We were delighted to hear the band came in 2nd!  Woo hoo!
In an attempt to keep the pretty new uniforms dry...


The tuba cases sitting in the rain...


An outstanding performance!

*  Marlene brought my folks over to watch the Blue Valley District Marching Exhibition.  This is an opportunity for all the bands / parents to watch all the 5 High School marching bands.  It's not a competition, just fun.  It was a chilly night, but enjoyed by all.


Dad, Mom and Marlene
(yes, the lady in the background in a t-shirt and capris was really cold later!)


Jake is on the 50 yard line in the back.

* I was on Facebook and got a little treat.  I was looking at pictures of First UMC's Movie Night and look who I found...


Yep, right there in the middle in their ole faithful chairs -
my folks.
:-)
They said, "we were the oldest ones there 
and didn't last too long, it was COLD!  
And the movie was not so good."

* Jack's Mom, Paula, came to visit.  It was a quick, crazy visit but packed with fun.

* We all got to enjoy Lauren and CJ's rehearsal dinner on Friday night (October 4th) - BVW had a football game postponed to Saturday afternoon due to severe weather predicted.  We were able to get home before the storms started but there was a lot of lightning in the area near the football stadium. 


Paula, Jack and Jake chatting before dinner and the rehearsal started.

Annie rehearsing...


* I made the mistake of giving Paula a piece of gum on the way to the rehearsal dinner.  She doesn't chew gum very often, and it pulled out a crown.  After a second trip to Walgreen's in search of temporary solution, Jack helped get it back in place...


Dr. Jack Diemer, DDS helping his Mom.

* Paula and I got up early to help Sue set up for the wedding.  I met Jack in Grandview to get Annie and Paula went back with Jack to spend a bit of time watching Jake during band rehearsal, eat lunch, shower and get ready for the wedding.


* Jake was disappointed that he didn't get to march / enjoy Senior recognition but the schedule between half time and the wedding starting was too tight.

* Annie got to be a spoiled Junior Bridesmaid for Lauren.  Hair, make-up, food, fancy dress, pretty jewelry and beautiful boutique.  



Hair - check!

Make up - check!

Bridal party photo shoot - check!


hamming it up for the camera with Shelby

Annie and the beautiful bride!

Flowers - check!


Almost time!

Mischief maker...

Beautiful girl!

*  Lauren and CJ's wedding was perfect.  The weather was beautiful, the food was delicious and the kids had a great time dancing the night away!  I got to bust a few moves too!  


Vows...


Mr. and Mrs. Christopher Daugherty

Annie got a little help down from CJ's brother Nick.

Don't mess with us!

Sibling love, he gave her his jacket and hat.

Silliness...


Danced until the DJ left.
What a fun night!

* Mid term tests.  Ugh!

*  The kids enjoyed a much needed Friday off.  I can't believe it's already the of the first 9 weeks of school.  

* I enjoyed a training class by MK Mueller.  She's written several books and is an outstanding speaker.  Good stuff!!  The highlights were sharing 3 things your grateful for every day - with no repeats.  (which I have been trying to get into the habit of doing)   If something good happens to you, tell 8 people.  If something bad happens to you, take 8 minutes - cry, scream, whatever you need to do to feel it, then let it go.  Take risks.  Be kind, be happy.  Be your own motivation - speak it as if it's already happened.  For instance, this morning I told Annie it was going to be a great week!  Speak it and make it happen!  (Then I told her to be kind, be sweet and make good choices, which always makes her smile.)

* TULSA!  Jack and I did a bit of divide and conquering.  He got up early on Saturday (10-12) took the boys to breakfast and got them to band by 7 a.m.  He then returned to help pack the trucks at 8:30 and rode down to Tulsa on one of them.  Annie had play set building, so we left at noon.  The band performed at 3:30 - so I didn't waste any time.  I didn't think I'd make it, but as luck would have it, I got to see part of their show from outside the fence in the outfield.  I hooted and hollered, and Annie (who was sitting in the car) was pretty sure she was the only person that could hear me.  Oh well, I tried.  Right after that I went to the hotel and checked in, leaving Annie and Suzy to relax while I returned to hear the class standings and finalists announced.  I squeezed in with friends in the front row.  BVW was not recognized in the top three bands in class 2A - however they WERE selected to perform in finals!  Woo Hoo!  The 12 bands that performed were AMAZING!  Some more amazing that others, but all AMAZING!  Interestingly enough, BVW was the smallest band in the top 12.  Their finals performance was "dynamite!" according to Mrs. Kimball, their director.  "Best ever!"  And she made it clear that no matter what, she was proud of their performance.  As it turned out, BVW came in 12th.  "it doesn't matter what the judges score is.  You guys performed your best!"  I think sometimes the judges just don't like a show and no matter how well it's performed it doesn't score as well.  It's still a big deal to place in the top 12!  And I'm very proud of them!


Jack schlepping - he's pulling the cart

There's just something about performing under the lights...


I'm so proud of them!

Some of the Blue Valley West families
Yes, that's me waving in the background,
I didn't realize it was of the group.

We had an interesting evening avoiding the 
bugs (some ginormous) and balloon spiders.
If you're going to sit that high... wear a jacket with a hood!


Finale - presentation of awards.


Jake is three or fours rows from the back, middle right.

* Jake didn't seem too bothered by it.  He was tired and hungry and we were all thankful we didn't have to make the long drive home.  Jack was exhausted and the first to crawl into bed and fall asleep. 

* There was some heartbreaking news in Tulsa.  After prelim's the Bentonville band was told of their Assistant Director's death the night before.  His name was Zachary Roddy.  He was killed in a car accident on the way to Tulsa.  He had taken his seat belt off to get something out of his pocket and was not wearing it at the time of the accident.  Peter Hilborn, his passenger/co-worker/roommate WAS wearing his and survived the accident with a partially collapsed lung, fractured sternum and other injuries.  Mr. Hilborn was brought by ambulance to watch Bentonvilles finals performance and released from the hospital on Sunday.  Mr. Roddy had worked in Tulsa until this year when he took a position in Bentonville and it was truly tragic news.   It brought tears to my eyes as our band members held up yellow signs that read, "Roddy would be proud"   The Tulsa band community is tight and Mrs. Kimball (our director) knew him well.  Please keep his family, students and many friends in your prayers as they celebrate his life on Wednesday, 10-16.

* TODAY!  Jake got his braces off!  Sadly, he would not pose for a picture.  Well, that's not true.  He posed for many pictures but he didn't approve of any.  Personally, I liked the mule picture.  I'm serious, his mouth looked mule-like... but he wrestled the phone away from me and deleted it.  Then there was the cheese face with squinty eyes, but he took my phone away from me and deleted that one, too.  He has his last orthodontist appointment tomorrow.  I'm hoping for one then.

FLASHBACK...
2.11.12 - Braces on


10.14.13 - Braces off!
Isn't he handsome?!


Jake drove to and from his ortho appointment.
He's getting more and more comfortable behind the wheel of his car.
A word to the wise, when sitting at a stoplight with him don't say "no pressures!"
Yep, he killed it.
;-)

I'm certain there are bits and pieces I've missed, but this is what's memorable.  My Aunt Margaret's funeral in October 26th.  We will not be attending in person, but will be there in spirit.  I have taken comfort in knowing she is with her beloved, my Uncle Ernie and our Heavenly Savior.  
   
xo

No comments:

Post a Comment