Monday, August 29, 2016

1st day(s)

Today was Jake's first day of college.  I asked him to send me a picture...


and this is what I got.

Beggars can't be choosers, right?

Jake's roommate moved in on Friday.  All we've heard about him is, "he seems cool."  And his only comment about his classes today was "I didn't get any homework."  Honestly, I'm so glad he's communicating in more than one word answers.  He hasn't started working at Panera, yet.  I'm not sure what going on but he gets to figure it out.  I trust he will figure it out soon.  

Speaking of jobs - I have made some changes.  My position with BTH changed a bit and while I was doing some billing and "busy" work, the timing just wasn't right for Marena to relinquish the office management responsibilities  I haven't quit.  I'm just taking a break.  

In the mean time, I applied for a part-time job at The Container Store and Fat Brain Toys. My intent was to work one.  Well, as luck would have it I was offered and accepted both. The Container Store is only scheduling me about 10 hours a week, so it shouldn't be a problem. Oh, and the shifts will be most likely be from 5:00 a.m.-10:00 a.m.  It's a good thing I'm a morning person.  My first real shift was this morning and it felt like the first day of school.  I was really excited, and a bit nervous.  I am one of 15-20 people on the crew that restock shelves the morning after truck delivery - they say this is the best way to learn the store / products and I believe it.  After my training is complete and my knowledge of the store has increased I will hopefully be placed on the sales team.  Fat Brain Toys needed help in the evenings and on weekends, so I will be working 20+ hours a week.  I work Friday and Saturday evenings this weekend.  FB Toys does a lot of community events, so I'm looking forward to that aspect of the job.  BUT, so far, so good.  :-)

Jack survived his 1.5 days of jury duty.  Was he happy with the outcome?  No.  It's actually been eating at him for several days.  It was very disappointing, for him and me, to hear that a woman on the jury was very anti-police.  She announced her decision of NOT GUILTY, as soon as they walked into the deliberation room, "and no one's gonna change my mind!" She also called Jack a "do gooder."  !?  I think the experience was a bit disheartening to say the least.  The best part of jury duty is that he won't be called again for at least a year. This was the first time he was called to serve.  And he's still glad he didn't get chosen for the other case, because it's probably still going on.

Annie is doing well.  She's settled into school.  She's already busy writing college essays. She is blessed with a great group of crazy smart friends that are tapping into each others knowledge by proofreading each others papers.  They really do an amazing job of supporting each other.  

Pilot is good too... he's been busy chasing things.  Thankfully, he hasn't brought anything into the house recently.  (knock on wood)  

More to come soon.

xo

No comments:

Post a Comment